Old Spanish/California Trail going through the Del City area?

hkentcraig

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember some months back an online news article in one of the local news sites about a young gentleman who located a portion of the old "Spanish"/"California(?)" Trail that went through what is now Del City and showed photos of several neat old Spanish artifacts that he had found along its path. The article never even hint as to where the trail cut through modern-day Del City and was in its own way a giant tease of a sort.

Does anyone have any additional info on this, the old Spanish/California Trail in this neck of the woods of Del City/Midwest City? Thanks in advance!

Slim Diggins

May 27, 2010
McLoud Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the article you are inquiring about.
It says he found an old map showing a branch of the Chisholm Trail ran thru Del City.
He found a 1787 Carolus III Spanish coin about 8" down near the cemetery.

I grew up in Del City and have been looking for the map he spoke of but haven't found it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call BS. The Chisolm trail runs through my neck of the woods. There was never a branch that went anywhere else. Anyone claiming they know exactly where the Spanish walked 300+ years ago is a liar.

Slim Diggins

May 27, 2010
McLoud Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I remember the trail thru Del City was part of the Arbuckle Trail.
I'm looking for more info.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can safely say there were lots of Spaniards walking around in Toledo, Spain, 300 years ago. There was the Dona Ana trail that was separate from the Chisholm trail. There was the California Road, blazed by Marcy, but that passed south of Del City. Another trail used by the Spanish, and supported by testimony in the Greer County case, is the trail from Natchitoches to Sante Fe up the Red River then up the North Fork in SW Oklahoma. It apparently was in use close to 300 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread