On The Ghost Town Trail With Hoss . Deer Lodge , Nevada .

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Deer Lodge must certainly quafly as a forgotten place as it has been over 40 years since voices were heard in this pretty valley . At 7000 ' and hidden amongst the Junipier and Pinion Pine Deer Lodge Canyon has been home to man for hundreds if not thousands of years as evidenced by the obsidian points and shards scattered about . But our story today focuses on one family the Hacketts true pioneers . In 1900 Grandpa and Grandma Hackett thier son Everest and his wife Sarah left the comfort of a safe life in Salt Lake City , Utah in search of a place they could call thier own . Understand that in 1900 much of Nevada was still unmapped........ and untamed . When the Hacketts arrived they went to work building two sturdy log cabins ...... and soon children were born . Everest and Sarah had two boys ond one girl Hebert the oldest then Edward and thier little sister Helen . Mining fever was still sweeping across the West and the Hackett men caught it like everyone else . Searching the hills they managed to find a rich outcrop and brought out enough ore to support the growing clan but the veins proved to be shallow and soon petred out . The Hacketts had to find another way to make money and this would be through cattle . Starting out small they soon had 400 head and were able to sell beef to the surrounding mining camps and towns . Grandma Hackett had a large garden and apple trees and soon the Hacketts were able to offer fresh fruits and vegetables along with eggs and chicken to the hungry miners . Life was good there was even enough money left for the boys to buy a car . But events were happening in far away places that would inpact the Hacketts in a way they could have never imagined ...... war . They had read the newspapers about Hitler invading Poland and France and of Japan attacking China , but surley the Untied States would not become invovled ..... would they ? Then on a quiet Sunday morning December 7 , 1941 war came to America and to Deer Lodge Valley when Japannese forces attacked the Untied States Fleet anchored at Pearl Harbor , Hawaii . The Hackett kids never afraid of a fight joined up .... all 3 of them . They would all serve honorably..... but two would not come home alive ...... Herbert the oldest was killed in action on the shores of Sicily with the US Army . Edward was killed in training accident in Oregon , the brothers died within days of each other . Helen served through the war as a radio opreator for the US Army Air Force and would return to Nevada and her beloved Deer Lodge and live a long happy life . The property passed out of the Hackett family in 1960 and is now in private hands . This concludes our trip to Deer Lodge , Thanks a heap for coming along ! Hope you had a good time ! Hoss

Attachments

• Deer Lodge.jpg
    Deer Lodge.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 432
  • Deer Lodge4.jpg
    Deer Lodge4.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 421
  • Deer Lodge5.jpg
    Deer Lodge5.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 377
  • Deer Lodge9.jpg
    Deer Lodge9.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 421
  • Deer Lodge14.jpg
    Deer Lodge14.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 372
  • Deer Lodge20.jpg
    Deer Lodge20.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 446
  • Deer Lodge27.jpg
    Deer Lodge27.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Deer Lodge28.jpg
    Deer Lodge28.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 358
  • Deer Lodge37.jpg
    Deer Lodge37.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 368
  • Deer Lodge47.jpg
    Deer Lodge47.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Deer Lodge58.jpg
    Deer Lodge58.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 379
  • Deer Lodge81.jpg
    Deer Lodge81.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 388
  • Deer Lodge94.jpg
    Deer Lodge94.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 361
  • Deer Lodge108.jpg
    Deer Lodge108.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 367
  • Deer Lodge123.jpg
    Deer Lodge123.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 358
  • Deer Lodge139.jpg
    Deer Lodge139.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 351
  • Deer Lodge156.jpg
    Deer Lodge156.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Deer Lodge174.jpg
    Deer Lodge174.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Deer Lodge212.jpg
    Deer Lodge212.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 334
  • Deer Lodge213.jpg
    Deer Lodge213.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 350
  • Deer Lodge234.jpg
    Deer Lodge234.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 356
  • Deer Lodge256.jpg
    Deer Lodge256.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 337
  • Deer Lodge279.jpg
    Deer Lodge279.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Deer Lodge303.jpg
    Deer Lodge303.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 368
  • Deer Lodge328.jpg
    Deer Lodge328.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You weave a great story, Hoss.
About the only thing that remains there is the history, and you told it well.
Is the Hackett Cemetary still on the northside?
Keep traveling and telling those stories; makes me itch to do it again, myself.
Don.....

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story-great pics-very lucky to be able to wander around there!

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Howdy DC . And yes I am aware of the no trespassing signs , they have been there for some time . This is one of my favorite places in central Nevada . I try to make an annual pilgrimage there .... and yes I do obey the signs and urge others to do the same . I did not respond to Mackaydons question about the graveyard because I have learned this is a magnet for the lunatic fringe i.e. the occult , Devil worshippers and such . I have even been in an armed confrontation with these kind of people and when you are alone and there are 8 of them it is good to have Mr Colt with you . Don and I are good friends and have been for several years he knows if I don't respond to something there is a good reason for it . As far as your survey goes .... I am not opposed to naming the places I post . My position on this is . Public land is for the PUBLIC , that is all of us ... period . I understand that there are those who want to destroy and cause mayhem , but is denying access to everyone the solution ? I think not . And that is what's happening . No I don't have a solution . I defer to anyone who does . Thanks for taking a peak ! Hoss
PS . To my friends . I have some posts I will try and get up over this weekend . Have been dealing with some health issues .

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post loved reading it hope your health gets better quick. Thanks for sharing that. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions