What's new

Open Pontil Pepper Sauce Bottles?

thisonehere

Greenie
Joined
Feb 25, 2023
Messages
14
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
I think these are 1860’s pepper sauce bottles. I’m not 100 per cent. The one with the circle slug plate has embossing that reads ‘BROOKLYN F GROENING’ on the heel. I could not find any info on that name/embossing or any example of the bottle on the internet. Let me know what you think and if you ever heard of the embossed one. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4425.webp
    IMG_4425.webp
    651.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4426.webp
    IMG_4426.webp
    187 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4427.webp
    IMG_4427.webp
    292.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4428.webp
    IMG_4428.webp
    234.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4429.webp
    IMG_4429.webp
    202.5 KB · Views: 98
Nice old sauce bottles, i like how brooklyn is spelled, did you dig them. View attachment 2178009View attachment 2178010
Thanks for the info on the
Nice old sauce bottles, i like how brooklyn is spelled, did you dig them. View attachment 2178009View attachment 2178010
I got them at a yard sale for 40$. The Brooklyn Groening I have looks to be maybe a decade newer than the aqua colored one in your auction screen shots. That top looks 1850’s where as mine looks more late 1860’s. Looks like a good 40$ investment none the less. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
 
Beautiful bottles!
 
Hi everyone,

I believe the Groening piece is not a pepper sauce, but a type of cordial and is also much older in age than postulated above. Mr Groening exhibited his bottled lemon syrup at the Mechanics Institute Fair of New York in 1835. There are two different bottles, both pontil, both extremely rare, both similar in appearance and both embossed the same. Given the extreme scarcity, it is probably a safe bet Groening's lemon syrup enterprise did not get off the ground.
 
Those are sweet !!! I don't find pepper sauces like those around here ! Congrats !!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom