Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am trying to get enough banks that will order boxes of halves that I don't use as dump banks, but run into resistance at times. A bank that said they would order halves for me now says they won't because it is not part of their normal order of coins. Seems stupid to me.

Right now I have 5 banks that will order halves for me and since I do basically 2 boxes a week that means hitting the same bank every 5 weeks. I may increase the order to 3 boxes each time.

Upvote 0

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I only buy from one bank, they have been extremely easy to deal with, getting me 2 boxes every week. I just picked up my 2 boxes a couple of hours ago, they arrive every Thursday at noon, so I know when to go pick them up. They leave them at the counter so they can grab them quick when I come in. ( found 3 40% and 4 90% in these boxes).

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 boxes due on Friday--- hope for the "piggy bank" raiders covering all the crap they needed to buy from China :tongue3: & fill the tank to exchange the crap for what they really wanted :BangHead: & heat the homestead :sad11:

tinkle, tinkle, silver coins :dontknow::laughing7:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I only buy from one bank, they have been extremely easy to deal with, getting me 2 boxes every week. I just picked up my 2 boxes a couple of hours ago, they arrive every Thursday at noon, so I know when to go pick them up. They leave them at the counter so they can grab them quick when I come in. ( found 3 40% and 4 90% in these boxes).

I might try buying from just one bank as some seem to get angry about ordering coins. The one I have 2 boxes coming from tomorrow seem more pleasant

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I might try buying from just one bank as some seem to get angry about ordering coins. The one I have 2 boxes coming from tomorrow seem more pleasant

Order from the pleasant ones. Dump on the unpleasant ones....nicely! Life's too short to deal with cranky people.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kristen called this morning to tell me the $1000 bag of quarters from a laundromat arrived, brought it home to cull the keepers :dontknow::icon_thumright:

get to know the staff, & keep 'em content with sweets for the sweeties :love7::love4::love5:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Are banks allowed to accept gifts? I know where I work in the health care industry they keep stressing you cannot accept anything.

But

What would people suggest to give to the people at the bank? Donuts, but we are talking women who may be watching their weight...

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are banks allowed to accept gifts? I know where I work in the health care industry they keep stressing you cannot accept anything.

But

What would people suggest to give to the people at the bank? Donuts, but we are talking women who may be watching their weight...
Good question Ben. For awhile, the wife was making cookies and I gave those to my tellers until my bank network got so big that it became impractical. The wife works full time and was spending evenings baking them, LOL. Of course the tellers loved them and shared with everyone in the bank. I now give out birth year (if they are young and I have the nerve to ask them when they were born!) or Bi-Centennial halves put in the plastic 2 x 2 holders. I print a label with the Year, Mint, and my estimate of the AU grade (I only hand out the nicest AUs I can find - I have lots of them that I set aside from CRH). Even though Bi-Centennials are a dime a dozen, but they all smile and thank me profusely for my small token of my appreciation. A recent recipient told me it was her first coin she had ever been given. I started giving them to tellers at banks where I am a "No-Account" and one called me back to say she had some halves waiting for me.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kristen called this morning to tell me the $1000 bag of quarters from a laundromat arrived, brought it home to cull the keepers :dontknow::icon_thumright:

get to know the staff, & keep 'em content with sweets for the sweeties :love7::love4::love5:
Ace, do the "commercial" quarter bags yield silver for you? I know you also look for errors, especially on State and Parks quarters, you are a pro at them! But I am mostly interested in silver at this point having a completed set of Uncirculated States and a nice almost complete set of circulated Parks. The reason I ask is one Branch Manager says a local car wash owner dumps his commercial quarters periodically and I can buy them if I want. The few regular $1000 coin counter bags of quarters I have searched previously never gave up a single silver. Just curious if I ought to bite on the commercial bag? Thanks.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2

But

My buy bank that gets me my 2 boxes, I gave the 3 ladies $50 gift certificates, the one young lady with a child and no husband one for the Grocery store, the other 2 married certificates for Texas Road House. They said they do get small items from some customers, but normally cookies and such that they really don't want. They don't make much money working there, they have to deal with a lot of idiots during the week and in the scheme of things, it won't change my life one bit. Glad I could afford to help them out.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace, do the "commercial" quarter bags yield silver for you? I know you also look for errors, especially on State and Parks quarters, you are a pro at them! But I am mostly interested in silver at this point having a completed set of Uncirculated States and a nice almost complete set of circulated Parks. The reason I ask is one Branch Manager says a local car wash owner dumps his commercial quarters periodically and I can buy them if I want. The few regular $1000 coin counter bags of quarters I have searched previously never gave up a single silver. Just curious if I ought to bite on the commercial bag? Thanks.

a few GW silvers in 1 bag. can't find any bank that sells bags, they give the CWR to customers, ----so any commercial bag drop COULD be a winner. got a qtr box to search today so the bag gets slit like a bunny's neck Friday---- got 2 Half boxes comin' tamarra :laughing9:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But

donuts, candy, cupcakes, even a coin like a V nic, IHP or a Buff if they are fond of those--- nuttin' HG, just a nice VF/XF. figger this --- they burn the calories shaggin' boxes from the vault & liftin' bags when I fill the counter (a great upper body exercise & sometimes a nice view 8-). if they start be gittin' a bit on the chubbsie side :BangHead:--- then they get a head of lettuce & a carrot :tongue3: :laughing9:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Just thought of something the Manager who sells me the bags might like, a US Proof set from the 80's that you can open and display on your desk!

OR something like the 1992 Premier Silver Proof set, have one on my desk here and they are around $25

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Took her the Proof set and she thanked me profusely but said she couldn't accept it because it contained money, they cannot accept any coins or money.

Oh well, I left her my card and told her if the halves fill up before I come in to check it to give me a call.

OH BTW the halfs I was supposed to get today will now be in next week, looks like I might end up with 6 boxes of halves next week from 3 different banks

Last edited:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took her the Proof set and she thanked me profusely but said she couldn't accept it because it contained money, they cannot accept any coins or money.

Oh well, I left her my card and told her if the halves fill up before I come in to check it to give me a call.

OH BTW the halfs I was supposed to get today will now be in next week, looks like I might end up with 6 boxes of halves next week from 3 different banks

I guess it's cookies or some other type of sweets. :angel3:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Two boxes came in early was expecting them Tuesday, will give me something to do, don't have a good feeling about them, but also checking for missing "FG" and found one so far

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread