What's new

Ornate Musket Escutcheon Plate, George III Copper, Silvers

Hunthicks

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
804
Reaction score
466
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what started out as a three day hunt turned into about 1.5 days of hunting spread over 4 days for me - real life just got in the way! While the first day saw my best find right alongside all the trade axes popping up, it was a good effort put forth and I had a lot of good digs for the time I was out there.

My best find was this ornate musket escutcheon thumbplate which popped up just a couple feet from the cache of trade axes. While I can't find any info on it, given the proximity to the axes it's most likely french and dates to the early to mid 1700s.
IMG_6790.webp
IMG_6791.webp
Also dug a few coins, including this george III and 1880 5 cent silver, along with a couple 1893 large cents and a couple 1940s silver dimes.
IMG_6792.webp
And this WWI era artillery hat badge.
IMG_6793.webp
Group photo:
IMG_6788.webp
 
Upvote 42
Really nice assortment finds which makes for a great hunt(s) the escutcheon plate is great keeper. Congrats on the recoveries from the fragmented hunt that you had.
 
Very nice assortment of finds. Congrats.
 
Yes that comes to mind too as the last better multi hunt....unreal 6 years...hard to believe!!

Yeah that makes a pretty incredible display and story to go with it. I think we have to go all the way back to 2009 and the NJ site since 3 of us had a multi day quality hunt like that. Hard to believe that was over 5 years ago, closer to 6!
 
That is a great escutcheon, and it definitely fits in with the trade axes. It being an openwork design also adds to it, and I'm pretty sure since a marked 22nd Regiment one did not get up top, this one will not.... but make no mistake it's worthy. I'll even go a step further and say because I've dug a few trade axes to me that is the find of the hunt, even over the 6 axes in the same hole. I'd rather have that in my case than more iron.
As soon as I dug it I figured it was something pretty cool, and it's going to make a great display piece. And the fact it popped out after 8 total trade axes, there was already some excitement going on so that made it even better! It's a piece I'll appreciate and that'll help me remember a pretty cool site!
 
As soon as I dug it I figured it was something pretty cool, and it's going to make a great display piece. And the fact it popped out after 8 total trade axes, there was already some excitement going on so that made it even better! It's a piece I'll appreciate and that'll help me remember a pretty cool site!

Yes one that we'll hit again! even with all that garbage...
 
I'm guessing French as well, I love the face at the base of the item!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom