What's new

Ornate umbrella handle from 1860's shipwreck.

lukdiver2

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2023
Messages
30
Reaction score
97
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Coast
Anyone ever see a umbrella handle this ornate? Recovered on 1860's English shipwreck. Once freed from iron conglomerate my brother thought it was a pistol handle and once he brought it up I told him 'Think Mary Poppins'. The wooden piece is being conserved separately and brother dissapointed to not find any makers mark. Other brass piece is 'dragon lamp-gimbal'. It is on the small size so I'm almost thinking a candlestick gimbal holder?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251109_134336224.webp
    IMG_20251109_134336224.webp
    918 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 17
A very interesting find - congrats !
 
My first thought was a pistol handle. What about a saber handle ?
 
Very cool!
 
The handle seems to have two small holes and a slot right in the area the trigger guard and trigger would be in if it were a pistol handle. I can’t think of a reason why an umbrella handle would have holes and a slot in that location. If you do an internet image for “pepperbox” you will see that it might be a pistol frame / handle after all.
 
The handle seems to have two small holes and a slot right in the area the trigger guard and trigger would be in if it were a pistol handle. I can’t think of a reason why an umbrella handle would have holes and a slot in that location. If you do an internet image for “pepperbox” you will see that it might be a pistol frame / handle after all.
I see what you are saying.

Screenshot_20251110_212301_Google.webp
 
The handle seems to have two small holes and a slot right in the area the trigger guard and trigger would be in if it were a pistol handle. I can’t think of a reason why an umbrella handle would have holes and a slot in that location. If you do an internet image for “pepperbox” you will see that it might be a pistol frame / handle after all.
You're correct. Brother looked closer and far too intricate for a umbrella. The internal trigger parts were steel and didn't survive. Pity there's no maker's mark. Must have been a valuable piece at that time. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251111_143731127.webp
    IMG_20251111_143731127.webp
    299.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20251111_143424917.webp
    IMG_20251111_143424917.webp
    561.1 KB · Views: 51
Anyone ever see an umbrella handle this ornate? Recovered on 1860's English shipwreck. Once freed from iron conglomerate my brother thought it was a pistol handle and once he brought it up I told him 'Think Mary Poppins'. The wooden piece is being conserved separately and brother dissapointed to not find any makers mark. Other brass piece is 'dragon lamp-gimbal'. It is on the small size so I'm almost thinking a candlestick gimbal holder?
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom