Paid $1 for $54. worth of uncanceled US stamps. Use or Sell them?

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased 2 sets of USPS 1973 Souvenir Mint sets. In the lot were several sheets of additional uncancelled stamps. The face value is about $54. I don't collect stamps. So, the question is... Should I use them up? Or, is it worthwhile to sell them? Or, does the USPS buy them back?
100_0428.jpg

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
The USPS does not buy them back. Most stamps sell for below face value on eBay. If you mail packages/letters a lot, just use them for postage for the maximum return. I tend to plaster them all over USPS fixed price boxes using stick glue.

Full sheets of stamps can sell above face value on eBay, but the buyer will expect no blemishes, creases, or wrinkles on either side of the sheet. The amount you get over face for the issues pictured will not be all that much and eBay fees will probably cancel out any gains.

I used to buy modern/old mixed collections on eBay, break out anything of value above face, then use the rest for postage on eBay items that I sell. Not hugely profitable, but a fun way to acquire the occasional valuable older stamp (pre-1920) for very little money.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can use them on envelopes go for it....dealers only pay a percent of face value for common mint stamps generally 50% or less.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information and feedback. I'll used them to pay some bills. Thx!

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife's mother worked in the accounting dept at her company, and they had a client who regularly sent mail using 1960s-era US commemoratives for postage. Because of the higher modern postage costs, the envelopes might have six or seven different old stamps on them. She knew I was a collector, and would save the envelopes for me; I have a whole pile of them.

I wondered why someone would have large quantities and varieties of old unused stamps, then I found that unused stamps from the post-WWII era are commonly sold in bulk at a fraction of face value, so a lot of people reduce their postage costs by using those instead of buying new stamps from the Post Office. There are tons of stamps from this era out there from old collections and dealer stock, and the collector demand just doesn't exist to absorb more than a tiny fraction of them.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with a stamp dealer for their retail price, then sell them to the dealer for at least 60%. Good hunting and good luck.

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
Not the 1973 stamps which are worth more then face value.
LOL, I'm a part time stamp dealer... There is no demand, they are not rare and I do not purchase them, rather I end up with them when buying collections and have to figure out a way to unload them. Face value of the 1973 souvenir mint set is $2.64. On a good day you might sell them on eBay for $4.95 with free shipping. On a bad day you won't be able to unload them for .99 cents.

Most modern US issues don't have collectible value. There were just too many printed. Because they are so plentiful, no dealer buys them, we all have stacks and stacks of them already. You can occasionally sell them to a collector at an insane markup, but for the most part its better to stick to the 19th century issues, at least for me. That's where the money is...

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless I am mistaken, stamps are considered legal tender. You can use them as cash to pay off that parking ticket or HMO fee!

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread