Parents 200 year old house finally yields old coins!! (UPDATE!!!)

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Well, kind of old.

1920 and 1935 wheats; pretty small time, but listen to my story:

I have been hunting at my parents house (built in 1795) for the last 3 years, I have put in tons and tons of hours there... and I haven't found jack until yesterday. Going back to the beginning, in late 2002 when I got my first modern MD, we found a 1917 wheat within 5 minutes of turning the MD on. I did find a 1943 wheat there a month or two ago, but yesterday I nailed a 1920 and 1935 wheat! They were about 4-5" deep and about 30 feet apart. Both signals had a very small footprint, and didn't really read as pennies. I guess this is due to the fact that there is tons of iron in the ground there and tons of junk from the last 200 years...

By comparison, I have found about 10 wheats, 4 silver dimes, and 1 silver quarter at my own house which was built in 1956.

This has been a subject of great debate within my family; I have found at least 80 coins at my parents house, all of which are post-1964. No silver. Supposedly the neighbor found an 1856 Flying Eagle cent about 50 ft from where I just found the old wheats. It is strange, as if the top layer of ground has been scraped and moved somewhere else. This is pretty much impossible since it would have had to have been done pre-1965 and we are talking about a 3 acre area. I have searched all over it and have found absolutely no old coins until yesterday. I have even looked under the front porch which was added in 1930.

So, it is a relief to finally find something that is kind of old. Hopefully I can keep up the streak and get something pre-1900.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
vanceadolph,
Some things to consider:

The vast majority of coins lost are by children, so they probably don't realize they were lost for a long time, if ever, and won't be searched for very hard.

Back in the old days lawns weren't kept as neat as they are now, so the coins that were lost by adults or childrens would have been harder to find.

I also think that more coins were carried back then whereas now mostly notes are carried, and coins are put in car ashtrays or coffee cans. More coins being carried = more coins being lost.

I will also hazard a guess that clothing wasn't as high quality as it is today (and probably not replaced as often) and that holes in pockets were more common than today.

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Iron is a pain...work very slow, play with your sensitivity, (not that one, the one on the detector) and if the signal seems to bounce around like it can't decide if it is iron or not, dig it...otherwise dig every iron signal until either you or the ground gives up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread