What's new

Patriots Day Copper!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
4,676
Reaction score
5,768
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Patriot's Day Copper!!

I was metal detecting for a few hours today and got a pretty nice copper. I started out my hunt without a single signal for around an hour, than I went to a different area of the site where I have found some nice colonial finds and started finding stuff. My metal detector was chattering so much I was ready to throw it in a ditch:laughing7:, I decided to re coil the coil's wire right in the middle of the hunt and was glad I did, almost no chattering whatsoever. Anyways, I got a nice signal at around 7", I dug it and it turned out to be a colonial dandy button, I was really hoping for a coin though. Some time later I got a pull tab signal on my metal detecting and was thinking that it is going to be a shotgun shell, funny enough out pops a nice copper, not extremely deep either. I metal detected for another hour or so and did not find anything but an old brass belt or horse buckle.

The funniest thing of all is that today is Patriot's Day and I found a 1774 King George III Copper, I was amused by such a funny coincidence.

I'm wondering if it could be a contemporary counterfeit because it looks like it could be one, what do you think?

Before Cleaning
IMG_20150419_125415.webpIMG_20150419_125424.webp
After Cleaning
IMG_20150419_132524.webpIMG_20150419_132530.webp

Thanks for Looking, Coinman123
 
Upvote 18
Neat find....some old copper i found ring in as iron with my 150 so does lead from time to time ,,, but does it pass the ring test ?
 
Neat find....some old copper i found ring in as iron with my 150 so does lead from time to time ,,, but does it pass the ring test ?

It passed the ring test, I have had coppers show up from around 60 all the way to 87 on my T2se (Pull tab-Quarter). Never iron though.
 
it does mostly with zinkers ....but i dig everything
 
it does mostly with zinkers ....but i dig everything

Very good idea, If I did not dig zincolns I would have missed many cool finds including many old coins and relics. Of the almost 40 colonial and shortly after buttons I have found, 90% showed up in the pull tab and zinc range. Same with my only Indian Head Cent and a few of my colonial coppers. My silver shoe buckle piece even showed up as a zinc. It just shows that it is worth digging anything, I will dig anything above iron on my metal detector.
 
Very nice bud! I suck at spotting the counterfeits. IP can pick em out quickly
 
Sweet Big copper!!

Looks to be a good shape too and even I can read the date, Congrats!!
 
LAST CONTERFEIT I FOUND - IN NEW ENGLAND - WAS MADE WITH SOME ZINC IN IT - IT WAS LIGHTER AND CORRODED FUNNY AND WENT OFF WITH A LOW ID NUMBER
 
great coin! that looks legit to me!, but im far from an expert. here is an obvious fake I found last year, nearly needed cpr when this came out
clean%20kg.webpcopy%20kg.webp
 
Nice going on the old copper, going a hour for a signal is keeping your nose to ground so to speak. My hat goes off to you for sticking to it because I would have walked well before that.
 
LAST CONTERFEIT I FOUND - IN NEW ENGLAND - WAS MADE WITH SOME ZINC IN IT - IT WAS LIGHTER AND CORRODED FUNNY AND WENT OFF WITH A LOW ID NUMBER

Hmm... I found a halfpenny sized toasted copper that weighed almost half the weight of the copper I found, the corrosion was very different than that on any copper I have found before but was severe. Could that be a counterfeit???
toasted cpper.webp


Also kind of unrelated but I do not want to do a new post on this thread, I just noticed that at this time last year I was complaining because I have not even found any buttons, a copper of any kind would be a dream, I made a thread asking for help on finding a first copper. Two weeks later I found one! I'm pretty happy on an early start this year.
 
Last edited:
Very nice! I'm no expert either on ID'ing copper counterfeits, but for those interested in learning more about them check out the following link:

Counterfeit British Coppers
 
I'm going with counterfeit.
 
I'm going with counterfeit.

Just to clarify, for the George iii not that toasted one right :) A counterfeit would be pretty cool. It has the same weight as a normal KG though.
 
Last edited:
Just to clarify, for the George iii not that toasted one right :) A counterfeit would be pretty cool. It has the same weight as a normal KG though.

Yes, the cleaned Geo III in the first post. If its the same weight, which to me seems odd for a very worn coin, then its poor metal quality where they dip in.
 
Looks like 1779.
 
Nice digs . Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures with us . And for the record I think I did almost have an accident myself last week when my old copper popped out lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom