Penny boxes

Jluck456

Sep 22, 2012
Hi everyone! I've been reading these forums for quite some time now and just decided to make an account. I've been crhing for about 2 years now and still consider myself new to this. I mostly do pennies. I keep all pre 1982, wheats, the S mint marks and search for errors and all that. I was wondering if you guys who search penny rolls could tell me what you guys search for?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jluck456

Sep 22, 2012
Just called a bank around my area that has CWR! Im so excited, every roll of coins I've ever done has been MWR. I'll get some pennies and maybe some halves or dimes today.

OP
OP
J

Jluck456

Sep 22, 2012
Well apparently the lady who i spoke to had no idea the difference between customer wrapped and machine wrapped. ON top of that, all she had for me was 10$ in pennys and 50$ in dimes.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jluck456 said:
Well apparently the lady who i spoke to had no idea the difference between customer wrapped and machine wrapped. ON top of that, all she had for me was 10$ in pennys and 50$ in dimes.

Ah well. Better luck next time hopefully. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
J

Jluck456

Sep 22, 2012
Skunked on the dimes. I figured that though. Ive never found one silver dime crh and have done about 1000$ in dimes. On to the pennys!

OP
OP
J

Jluck456

Sep 22, 2012
Wheats-
1958D
1956D
1955D
1953D
1951D
Also got 6 "69-74" S mints. A few canadians including a 1943. And 296 pre 82's

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jluck456 said:
Wheats-
1958D
1956D
1955D
1953D
1951D
Also got 6 "69-74" S mints. A few canadians including a 1943. And 296 pre 82's

They are not pennies they are CENTS!!!!!!
HH
Enamel7

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the boxes from Brinks say "$25 Pennies" not "$25 Cents." You are fine calling them pennies.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thripp said:
Even the boxes from Brinks say "$25 Pennies" not "$25 Cents." You are fine calling them pennies.

The boxes are wrong. They are cents. Pennies come from England.

OP
OP
J

Jluck456

Sep 22, 2012
Enamel 7. That whole reply of mine you copied and pasted and then said "they arent pennies they are cents!!!!" I never once said pennies in that reply...so what are you cryin about? Lol and the brinks box do say pennies.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jluck456 said:
Enamel 7. That whole reply of mine you copied and pasted and then said "they arent pennies they are cents!!!!" I never once said pennies in that reply...so what are you cryin about? Lol and the brinks box do say pennies.

The oifficial name is cents. So if you are going to write a report or are talking to a serious collector, say cents. Otherwise, does it really matter?????

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry! I should have post the quote previous to the one I did. Just trying to educate the masses. Sag is correct also. The term "penny" is left over from British rule I guess. All I'm saying is if you're going to collect coin, then you should use the correct grammar. Like when people say "I found a double die". The correct term is "doubled". Likewise when people use the term "cud" when it may actually be a "chip". Just sayin.
HH
enamel7

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The point is perception is reality. Everyones calls them pennies. When I go ask fo a box of pennies they hand me a box of cents. So the word is functional. A starfish isn't really a fish but we all get the picture. So blow hardy to correct someone for that.

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry! I should have post the quote previous to the one I did. Just trying to educate the masses. Sag is correct also. The term "penny" is left over from British rule I guess. All I'm saying is if you're going to collect coin, then you should use the correct grammar. Like when people say "I found a double die". The correct term is "doubled". Likewise when people use the term "cud" when it may actually be a "chip". Just sayin.
HH
enamel7

Just saying...? Yeesh. While you are correct, we all know what the OP is referring to. Penny / pennies is just the common, colloquial term used in everyday language. It is not wrong to refer to them as such, although many people use the proper term "cent".

If we are ever in the same room and I cut my finger, I may ask you for a Kleenex and a Band Aid. Please quickly hand me the items, without correcting me that the proper terms are "facial tissue" and "adhesive bandage"... :laughing7: As always, happy hunting...!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions