What's new

penny collectors...I could use some help! good story, all should read...

phrostie

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
534
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nap Town
Pennies are not generally my forte. I keep wheats, pre 82, and have an assortment of error dates I check. I need some help with this one, truly sad story. It goes like this...

So I get a call from a bank last week saying someone came in and dropped off 90 in face of rolled copper pennies. I'm like sweet, I'm down for some copper. I find out that the person turned their father's collection as he just recently passed away... so my first up close experience with someone passing and a collection dump being turned in. Sorta sad really, especially since the gentleman spent a lot of time going through them, organizing them, writing his shorthand on them...but ultimately i don't know what to do with them. I mean, I plan on picking out the BU ones, starting rolls of each year / mm, pulling wheats, error checking, etc...but really where do you start with frickin $90!!!

Nearly every roll has his shorthand on it...I found 5 rolls of wheats (all common dates unfortunately) a few rolls of 59 etc...(again this is only from reading the outside!!! I did check the wheats though)...could use some help on some short hand (see below). With the amount of BU 59's I saw I'm guessing he had better coins stashed away, either in a whitman, 2 x 2s or something. Did I mention the wheat rolls had an X on them?? Even with the label LH on most rolls, I don't think I would have done that if I hadn't at least at some that said IH!! Now to the shorthand...


Roose (reads "Copper Roose" , I was hoping silver roosies but no such chance!)
LH (guessing lincoln head, searched wrappers for IH but no luck).
OE or 30 if upside down, reads "Copper OE"

A typical roll will have this COP - LH - HS. I have no idea what HS means. On his wheat rolls he wrote "Wheat Straw" on one, WSJ on two, WS on a third and remaining one I cannot read hand writing. Anyways, I'll be posting pics eventually, but it is truly amazing the amount of time that this gentleman put into this, and it makes me sad to think about my grandpa who talks about wheats all the time and is in his 80s. Hopefully he's smiling down on us...glad that someone is putting his collection to use! Anyways, feel free to ask questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Upvote 0
It is very sad that the kids dropped off their dads coins... Pretty good finds though ;)
 
dandow20 said:
"feel free to ask questions"

Is it possible to change your avatar?..... It's kinda creepy.

Maybe something like Ash's..... :dontknow:
 
Good story, but I agree your avatar is a little creepy. I hope it's not a self portrait.
 
It is a self portrait...I look normal when I'm bringing in silver...but when I get too many skunk boxes this is what I look like. YOU THINK I ENJOY LOOKING IN THE MIRROR??? I put this picture as my avatar to remember what I'm looking like when I post about getting skunked. So no silver = red nose, real pale and really cold. I change back to normal after I get my silver fix...it's sort of like vampires and blood, ya know?

Go pick on someone who is a little warmer.

~Phrostie
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom