What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Petrified marerial ?

WoodsDigger

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2024
Messages
283
Reaction score
489
Golden Thread
0
Had to bring this home. Found on East end of Lake Ontario . Can anyone identify the petrified chunk? Only way I can describe it.
1000003848.webp
 

Attachments

  • 20260430_094807.webp
    20260430_094807.webp
    182.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20260430_094731.webp
    20260430_094731.webp
    208.4 KB · Views: 56
It looks like a chunk of rough puddingstone to me.
 
Upvote 0
Check out some specimens of "Ontario Puddingstone" some look pretty darn close.
 
Upvote 0
Breccia would only be on the surface of the rock ? Where puddingstone looks like its completely mixed in the rock?
No, breccia is similar to conglomerates like pudding stone. The clasts are distributed all through the rock. The difference is in the shape of the clasts. Conglomerates have rounded clasts, breccia more sharp clasts. This is a breccia I found.
IMG_8371.webp


I cut it and made an Indian style pipe from it. You can see the clasts are the same in the pipe as in the uncut nodule.
IMG_8473.webp
 
Upvote 0
No, breccia is similar to conglomerates like pudding stone. The clasts are distributed all through the rock. The difference is in the shape of the clasts. Conglomerates have rounded clasts, breccia more sharp clasts. This is a breccia I found. View attachment 2252371

I cut it and made an Indian style pipe from it. You can see the clasts are the same in the pipe as in the uncut nodule.View attachment 2252372
Great. Thanks I washed it off yesterday will post another Pic. Very nice material to make the pipe.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom