A
Atlantis0077
Guest
- #1
Thread Owner
Howdy,
One more pic and I will quit for a while. This is a rather rare stone in Louisiana, but a pretty one that comes in a variety of colors. This nice little "dovetail" point is made of petrified palm wood. Palm wood comes in white, grey, yellow/gold as this one is, pink and variations of the above. You tend to find it more in the central part of the state. I know of quite a bit being found on the southern part of Toledo Bend Reservoir as well as Bayou Toro near Leesville. This type of material chips quite well for a petrified wood as it isn't chalky or crumbly. In many cases its agatized without the fractures often found in such materials. I have found large chunks of it from which early knappers could have obtained quite a few preforms. Depending on the angle of the cut some has long grain, while other points give a leopard or polka dot appearance.
Happy Hunting
Atlantis
One more pic and I will quit for a while. This is a rather rare stone in Louisiana, but a pretty one that comes in a variety of colors. This nice little "dovetail" point is made of petrified palm wood. Palm wood comes in white, grey, yellow/gold as this one is, pink and variations of the above. You tend to find it more in the central part of the state. I know of quite a bit being found on the southern part of Toledo Bend Reservoir as well as Bayou Toro near Leesville. This type of material chips quite well for a petrified wood as it isn't chalky or crumbly. In many cases its agatized without the fractures often found in such materials. I have found large chunks of it from which early knappers could have obtained quite a few preforms. Depending on the angle of the cut some has long grain, while other points give a leopard or polka dot appearance.
Happy Hunting
Atlantis
Attachments
Upvote
0

Thanks for all your help and great info.
Hope it's about 10 degrees cooler there. I'm sure not gonna go tramping around in the desert here in the broiling sun looking for artifacts. I'll just wait till around Nov/Dec to start hunting again.







