Themed thread: Rare/unique artifact materials from your area.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post your points/artifacts that are materials unique to your area. All pictures welcome and please add a description explaining material as well. For instance one of my favorite local is petrified wood or petrified palm, it comes in a lot of different colors locally. I have found chalky white with jet black interior, black/red, and light blue palm wood. Some knaps better than others.

One I found:
45E8FF20-84E1-45F7-B8B9-AF7AE65AB91E.jpeg

One I knapped:
A9DA7EB9-EE1D-4C1E-ADD9-51091163F7BD.jpeg

Upvote 8
These were found by my head hunting partner. This is Payson flint. Old time collectors called it Brown Co flint because many artifacts made of it were found there. The source wasn’t found until the 70s in Adams Co, the county next to Brown. It’s only found in one small creek. Present landowners keep everyone out. The flint works great raw and was never heated. The source was evidently covered up after early archaic times and no woodland points were made from it. Paleo and early archaic only.View attachment 2152925

This is Paoli flint, also known as Carter Cave. It’s totally exotic for our area. Beautiful material.View attachment 2152926

This one is unknown material. A one off we’ve never seen before.View attachment 2152927

Indy Green, also called Attica flint. This material turns up occasionally but is generally fairly rare. The source is over 100 miles.View attachment 2152928
I grew up in Brown County. We used to find points of that furst material in Salt Creek that ran through our property.

Unusual celt found washed out of alluvial soil on New Brunswick, Canada, riverbank without other artifacts nearby. The unusual shape stood out as i boated by. Provincial archaeologist had not seen one like it in the province but upon searching found another example had been found in Maine. They apparently are the only two that have been found. Its 7 1/4" long, 3 7/8" wide, 2 1/4" thick at its thickest and weighs 4 1/2 pounds. Its too big and heavy to hold in the hand comfortably and therefore must have been hafted. However, there is no groove for lashings. I have visions of its being used to scrape and pound out the charcoal and softened wood while hollowing out a log to make a dugout canoe. But, of course, that is just a guess. Other suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• Celt island (2).jpg
    Celt island (2).jpg
    965.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Celt island (1).jpg
    Celt island (1).jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Celt island.jpg
    Celt island.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Unusual celt found washed out of alluvial soil on New Brunswick, Canada, riverbank without other artifacts nearby. The unusual shape stood out as i boated by. Provincial archaeologist had not seen one like it in the province but upon searching found another example had been found in Maine. They apparently are the only two that have been found. Its 7 1/4" long, 3 7/8" wide, 2 1/4" thick at its thickest and weighs 4 1/2 pounds. Its too big and heavy to hold in the hand comfortably and therefore must have been hafted. However, there is no groove for lashings. I have visions of its being used to scrape and pound out the charcoal and softened wood while hollowing out a log to make a dugout canoe. But, of course, that is just a guess. Other suggestions welcome!
It’s definitely different. Maybe someone will know

Not to be a wet newspaper, but has glacier action been considered? Isn’t your area covered in glacial deposits?

Is it one smooth flat face? Can’t tell from the photos.

Wow. That's a big ol sucker.

Hell of a glacier to make that thing.
I don’t want to completely side track this thread. Just thought I’d ask. It just doesn’t have a utilitarian chopping type feel to it. Kind of odd and definitely unique. Given the right contex, I’d be all over it myself.

Last edited:
I’ve not got any special artifact to post that I’ve found myself.

However this was a special gift to me.
I believe it to be termed a “Celt”, but unsure of the age. Northern California.

IMG_3022.jpeg

IMG_3023.jpeg

Not sure of the stone, but I’m holding out hope it’s a local Nephrite jade. Might be a common hard greenstone.

Almost looks like it could have been held in the hand to skin and cut tendons or a quarter an elk rather than hafted and used in a chopping fashion.

Any education would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back