Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free little popular BLM campground north of Buena Vista. I hardly ever camp here as too many folks this time of year, but I wanted to do some exploring in that area. Did a lot of walking but only spotted one possibly broken off tip of a red jasper point. Only problem I had, I'm really low profile camping when it's just me. All that was on the site was my bedroll, the fire ring with the fire out, and me. I parked right in front of the site marker, but the site is about 75 feet back in some scrub pines and I guess nobody could see me. I go to bed real early, so I had people walkin up on me til well after dark, thinkin they could camp there. One bunch brought a bunch of their gear up and threw it down, which woke me up real quick. Maybe I should start bringin along a big sign.

Attachments

• 9-16aa.jpg
    9-16aa.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 9-16bb.jpg
    9-16bb.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 9-16cc.jpg
    9-16cc.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 9-16dd.jpg
    9-16dd.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 9-16ff.jpg
    9-16ff.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 57
I’m looking forward to my son running a cross country race in Buena Vista tomorrow. I am hoping to try to get there early to do some hiking around trout creek before the race. We almost settled there except it was a little to far from the family on the front range. I am sure it is a busy time, you have to be careful with the onslaught of hunting season. Glad you found a tip!

Hey RGINN!! GORGEOUS SPOT!! Thanks for Sharing!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Love that country there. I roamed a lot of it in the days living there. Still plenty of artifacts to be found around there.

Really pretty country. Thanks for the pics.:icon_thumright:

I’m looking forward to my son running a cross country race in Buena Vista tomorrow. I am hoping to try to get there early to do some hiking around trout creek before the race. We almost settled there except it was a little to far from the family on the front range. I am sure it is a busy time, you have to be careful with the onslaught of hunting season. Glad you found a tip!
Can you get too far from the front range? haha, just kidding. Should be good weather for the race. 80's in the day yesterday and 55 at night, with a nice breeze. Hope the young man does good in the race, too!

What side of the river are you on at this campground ??

What side of the river are you on at this campground ??
That's on the east side, up above Elephant Rock and the Midland Tunnels.

That's on the east side, up above Elephant Rock and the Midland Tunnels.
Okay, I thought I saw folks camping up that way a time I took the Midland road. It's been so hot down here I can imagine a lot of front rangers think they'll just go cool off in the mountains.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a rude awakening. You have pretty views there. Congrats on the find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back