..........PLAYBALL!!!

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Anybody else a baseball nut? What team is your favorite & why?
Im a die-hard Chicago Cub fan, have been for over 30 years. I like abuse. ;D When I started playing little league the Big Red Machine was dominant, I was a Cincinatti Red fan like all my friends, loved (& still love) Pete Rose (let him into the Hall of Fame already) I emulated Rose every chance I got, was chewed out by the coach for going into 3rd base head first (safety issues). We got cable TV in the mid 70's & I was addicted to baseball, all we got were WTBS Braves or WGN CUBS, they both were terrible teams then. I liked Wriggley Field, listened to all the history spewed out by the announcers & was officialy a Cub fan by the time I was 13-14. Its been a rough 30 years for me. My Pop became a big baseball nut late in his life, it was one subject we discussed constantly, even in the dead of winter. Pop was an Angel/Dodger fan & could not understand how I became a lowly Cubbie, him & I went to many Cub/Dodger games together in L.A..........him in Dodger Blue & me proudly wearing pinstripes & my Cub Cap! I have many framed 8x10 autographed pics including Hall of Famers, autographed balls & a large litho of Mr. Cub Ernie Banks that he signed for me at a convention in Los Angeles many years ago. He is one hell of a nice guy! I know you guys will laugh but 2010 is the year my beloved Cubs win the World Series! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• cubs logo.jpg
    cubs logo.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 319

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
Im a die-hard Chicago Cub fan, have been for over 30 years.
You have my sympathy.

GO CARDS!!!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Growing up in The Bronx you just had to root for the boys in pinstripes. I went to many a game in the old stadium and saw the likes of Mantle, and Maris. We had another little team from Brooklyn affectionately known as "Dem Bums" :laughing9: This year I'll go with the underdogs, "Go Mets"

OP
OP
Mighty AP

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
Cards...........Grrrrrrrr!!!! :angry4:

Best rivalry in baseball! Well, there is that NY/Boston rivalry........
Puljols is the best player in the game right now, y'all need to send him north to Chicago! Card fans just dont appreciate him like they should.
I hate the Cards of course but I do have a lot of respect for them, great organization with as much history as the Cubs or Yanks! Sry Gopher.......we will take the NL Central from you this year! :icon_thumleft: ;D

As with the Cards, I HATE THE YANKS! I respect em, they carried baseball for so many years & helped make it the game what it is today but I love to see em lose. Stienbrenner is a clown. Ive liked & rooted for the Red Sox for many years because of my hatred for the Yankees......

Attachments

• cubs-slug-cards.jpg
    cubs-slug-cards.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 379

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
Cards...........Grrrrrrrr!!!! :angry4:

Best rivalry in baseball! Well, there is that NY/Boston rivalry........
Puljols is the best player in the game right now, y'all need to send him north to Chicago! Card fans just dont appreciate him like they should.

1. Ok but who has 5 hours to devote to watching a ball game? That umpire was right. It shouldn't take a full five minutes between pitches. Throw the dayum ball already.

2. It's not that we don't appreciate Pujols, we do but our frustration with hippy LaRussa tends to nullify our love.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll worry about the Cubs, when they can beat the local HS baseball teams :laughing9:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Announcement heard at Cubs game:

"Will the mother of the nine unruly children please report to the security office to pick up her kids. They're beating the crap out of the Cubs."

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THATS funny right there! Glad you can take the abuse. Hope others can.

Completely
Useless
By
September

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Mighty AP said:
Awesome video!!! I knew you were overflowing with class & culture Vibes............! :icon_thumleft:

Don't get all mushy on me...I mean I am still on the fence as to whether Pete should be allowed into the hall of fame. I know Tommy Gioiosa , or at least heard HIS account of what happened first hand, it was an UGLY situation.

OP
OP
Mighty AP

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
It was very ugly & what Rose did was very wrong on ALL levels but he was one of the greatest players of all time. Look at his stats........he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Put an asterisk next to his name but let him in based on his achievements. Look at Ty Cobb, maybe the biggest piece of $hit to ever walk the planet but one hell of a ball player & unquestionably a Hall of Famer. Rose bet on baseball........no doubt about that but I really dont believe he ever bet against his own team or ever threw a game to win a bet. He had a problem, he has been punished & shamed. Now its time to put him in the Hall where he belongs. Just my oppinion.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put Pete in! You can't deny that he earned his spot regardless of anything else. And Might AP I am a Cards fan. Have been since I was a pup. Oh but I loved Mantle and he was my idol. He was an Oklahoma boy and unspoiled until he got to the big city and got tangled up with some of the boozers. I shed a tear when I heard that Mantle had died. I watched him give the "Don't be like me" speech to the media and got a little misty then. Tulsa had the Card's AAA team here for many years and then sold out to Texas in the late70s and now someone else has them. I haven't kept up with the Oilers since the cards sold them. But I went to Oiler park and saw them play exhibition games with the Cards. I got to see Sachel Page pitch and that was a thrill! I played little league, Babe Ruth, High School and even a few months semipro in west Texas. I had a Dodger's scout talk to me about pitching and he said he wanted to see me play college ball. I was 15 and pitched 3 no hitters out of 5 starts that year. But I also hit over .400 and played second base when I wasn't pitching. I was supposed to be a relief pitcher on the semipro team but I hit so good the coach played me at second base so I could stay in the lineup. I didn't make it to college until I was too old to play ball because I went into the Air Force because I couldn't afford college. I probably could have earned a walk on scholarship, but my folks were both in poor health, were poor and I had to eat. I always wonder what could have been. I love baseball and sitting 4 or 5 hours to watch a game isn't boring to me because I understand the game and the strategy that goes on behind the field with the coaching staff. Oh, I also coached little league and my team came in second place although I had a bunch of 13 year olds in a 13 to 15 year old league. My ten minutes of fame I supose, but I loved every minute of it. Monty

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you are talking about the Cubs today... Did you see the latest press release on AP and all the news stations. After this season the Cubs will change their name to Dangerfield, because he got no respect either :tongue

PS - If the Cubs don't do well this year, I know a guy in The Bronx that can make you a pennant anyway

OP
OP
Mighty AP

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Detector(s) used
After 30 consecutive seasons of disapointment I might just take you up on that offer Spart! Y'all can talk smack bout my Cubbies but you have to admit, we have been very competitive & have had some damn fine teams over the last 10 years. We've turned the corner & its just a matter of time before we take that World Series. :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Mighty AP said:
After 30 consecutive seasons of disapointment I might just take you up on that offer Spart! Y'all can talk smack bout my Cubbies but you have to admit, we have been very competitive & have had some damn fine teams over the last 10 years. We've turned the corner & its just a matter of time before we take that World Series. :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

A "Mighty" amen to that one AP.

I heard a joke today>>>That was no "ash" from an Icelandic volcano.....it was the dust build-up from the Cubs' trophy case!

I spit on that joke.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
Mighty AP said:

A "Mighty" amen to that one AP.

I heard a joke today>>>That was no "ash" from an Icelandic volcano.....it was the dust build-up from the Cubs' trophy case!

I spit on that joke.

I love your sense of humor. Even Father Time is getting old waiting for that day when the Cubs are even in the series. My old HS De Witt Clinton has a better chance of making it ;D

By the way, I spoke to my buddy at that "sweat shop" in The Bronx, and I'll have the pennants ready soon. What years do you want made anyway?? I'll make 2 sets, one for you and one for Mighty AP :icon_thumleft: I'll even get my picture on the back side, so you know it was me that had them made.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always respected the Cubbies. And I've always been a National League fan, but they have let me down lately, especially in the All Star games. My Cards are always near kthe top but just can't put 'em away when the playoffs come along. I guess they choke. Other than Pulhose (sp) they tend to trade off every really good player they have at the end of each season. I'll take the Card or the Cubs either one over the a AL teams. Monty

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I've always respected the Cubbies. And I've always been a National League fan, but they have let me down lately, especially in the All Star games. My Cards are always near kthe top but just can't put 'em away when the playoffs come along. I guess they choke. Other than Pulhose (sp) they tend to trade off every really good player they have at the end of each season. I'll take the Card or the Cubs either one over the a AL teams. Monty
I knew I liked you.

Pujols

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread