What's new

Please help identify

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
4,257
Golden Thread
0
Location
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found these today.
I hope the pictures are enough.
The one that is oval shaped is lead and has a center s shaped piece.
The other one that is shaped like a musical note is a heavy disc attached to a rod that is not broke off. It is actually rounded on the one end.
Any ideas on either one.

CC8D1DD6-FEE6-451B-AB6C-7C76987903AE.webp8DA51276-51C5-4AA2-ADA1-73108A32ADA3.webp
 
The lead item looks like a smashed hem weight
DSCN9520.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yes. After taking a closer shot, you can see the plier marks where they smashed it.
Thank you
When were hem weights used?
DBE74435-2F26-4C03-9140-36A754E835EC.webp
 
Upvote 0
I've only found one hem weight.
A site which began slowly in 1958 and began to get heavier use from the early 1960 's on.

I was happy to finally identify it as a hem weight. I took it to a woman friend who enjoys metal detecting, but also knows a lot about sewing.
I thought she would be impressed with this old hem weight I had found.
She opened a drawer on her old sewing machine and showed me an old open package just like mine and said that she did occasionally use one now and then when fixing curtains.

So I have a rough time frame leading right up to today, 2018, ... because she's still sewing things. :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom