What's new

plus sign coin need help!

searcherman

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Fisher F75 LTD Black
I dug this in my grand parents yard. It's a a little smaller than a dime.Thanks
 

Attachments

  • DSC00317.webp
    DSC00317.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC00318.webp
    DSC00318.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 286
It indeed resembles a 1957-B Swiss 1-rappen piece, but do I detect a silvery color in those pictures?

That and the hole in it give me a hunch.

I believe it is from a 1950s-era charm bracelet. Ask your grandmother if she ever had one, or if she remembers them.

A number of those bracelets were made with replicas of Swiss 1-rappen pieces, British halfpennies, and several other world coins of the era. Sometimes the coins are real and plated with silver-colored metal, and sometimes they are cast replicas, but in either event it makes little difference, since the original coins are not that valuable to begin with. Apparently these bracelets were quite the craze during the Eisenhower and/or Kennedy eras, because when I buy bulk bags for my coin shop, I often come across pieces like this, with the hole, the silver color, and sometimes casting seams on them.

Your coin looks as though it could be real, I guess. Look inside the hole. Is there copper colored metal in there? These are supposed to be bronze coins. If it's all silvery and has seams around the edges, then it is cast. Otherwise it is a real coin, but either way, it has no monetary value except as a curiosity. (And in that regard, I think it's pretty neat. I wouldn't mind digging one.)
 
Upvote 0
Inside the hole it is a green copper color and the letters were the silver color was rubbed off is green also.Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Yep, it's a real coin, then. But unfortunately not worth a whole lot. Even in Mint State, without the hole and the silvery plating, it would only be worth a buck or so. ($1.00 catalog value in UNC and $4.00 in full Red Brilliant UNC, by the 2009 Krause.) The mintage was 15,226,000. The "B" mintmark stands for the city of Bern, by the way (their primary Mint city).
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom