What's new

Poll, Why are you part of this crazy hobby?

silvereagle78

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
453
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I was sitting around the other day wondering why I commit myself to such time consumption and headache. I think I may have figured it out. So why do you do it ?
 
Upvote 0
what I find stange, is ever time I go out, I find reasons to quite and reasons to keep going. For example;
The other day I was in a lot that the grass was way overgrown, and when I tried to hunt, the aluminum shred (from cans) quickly killed my interest. But that night, I realize, "Hey, why didn't you just tune down to filter out all that junk". So, I have a renewed interest in getting back there.

...another time, I was waving this metal stick with a pancake on the bottom, and a beautiful brunette asked me what I was doing... I gave her son one of the matchbox cars I dug up, and I think, "Hey, perhaps she's going back to that park next week to try and ask me out".

I dont' know... It's those kinds of things that keeps me going back for more.

I dont' find a lot... but it's what I find 'while' I'm working that makes up for the times that I don't find anything.
 
Good question.
I have always been engaged in some type of hobby,preferably one that costs very little, or pays for itself. I may stay with a hobby for several years, quit, and move on to something else. Many times I'll return to a past hobby.
I was between hobbies when I discovered CRH 8 months ago. I find it very challenging. I'm kind of in competition with myself. I've set a goal, which is to find a dream box, or to find a certain amount of silver within a year. Once I reach this point ( or run out of dump banks) I'll quit CRH and pick up a new hobby.
I'm already looking.

Rich
 
i like to collect things. all my life i looked through pocket change, then i found this forum and started looking through rolls. i get bored from time to time and will take a break but almost always am back at it in a few weeks. this is the only hobby i ever had that pays me ;D
 
I always collected anything unusual when I went to the bank. Had quite a collection at one time, but it kinda vanished when the ex did, oh well. It was money well spent, lol.
 
I would vote, but my option isn't up there....

two fold answer...
1) For the thrill of the hunt (I used to collect sports cards growing up and had much the same reasons).
2) For "numismatic" purposes.
 
I really just enjoy opening rolls and seeing the silver. I put a post up a while back talking about how much fun it is to just open up the roll and see the silver. Its like we watch all these movies growing up about pirate treasure and what not, and now we get to look for modern day treasure. Sure, there is a nice profit to it, and we all love the value of the silver we find. I, however, find more pleasure in the hunt. It is finding something that is becoming more rare over time, and I am thankful that TNet introduced me to the hobby. I did not know about CRH until I was perousing the site one day after metal detecting and saw the CRH link and clicked out of curiosity. There are also a great many people on this site that are a huge help to me when I have questions, and for that I say thank you. Coolpix9 is for sure a friend for life, and is one of the most genuine guys I have ever met, as well as his father-in-law(Thanks Jim).

To all out there that are getting discouraged and frustrated, just take a road trip to get out of the norm and go to some banks you have never been to. Dont focus on the profit, because if you do, you will get discouraged every time. Focus on having fun, and that way when you do find silver, its an added bonus.

DO NOT COUNT ON CRH PAYING YOUR BILLS OR ALLOWING YOU TO MAKE A CAR PAYMENT ON A CAR YOU CANNOT AFFORD.

keep on keepin on guys and gals! and HH!

JJ :coffee2:
 
I had no idea this hobby (more like an obsession) exsited untill i joined the site last year. i've alway's been fascinated by coins and regret giving the ice cream man all those mercs when i was a kid.(boy was my dad pissed). but with age you realize your mistakes made when you were younger. although i dont have the resourses to pursue this hobby like others i still enjoy going to the bank to make a deposit. and eyeing the teller tray for silver edges. :thumbsup:
 
Hi, my name is Fred, and I'm a silver hoarder. :tongue3:
Numismatics (errors mostly) aside, it's the "thrill of the hunt".
After picking up a box I have to tell myself that I won't unroll them in the parking lot of the bank (another rule?), but wait until I get home.


(But I have opened 4 or 5 rolls to verify it was a good box before I bought the other....)
 
GMan00001 said:
I would vote, but my option isn't up there....

two fold answer...
1) For the thrill of the hunt (I used to collect sports cards growing up and had much the same reasons).
2) For "numismatic" purposes.

Thanks for the correction GMan, I should have consulted by dictionary ;D , and your right I should have added "The thrill of the hunt" or an other option :notworthy:
 
GMan00001 said:
I would vote, but my option isn't up there....

two fold answer...
1) For the thrill of the hunt (I used to collect sports cards growing up and had much the same reasons).
2) For "numismatic" purposes.

Ditto.
 
No doubt.....the thrill of the hunt!!
 
Another choice could have been: To flirt with all the tellers (kidding)

Honestly, I've enjoyed the relationships that I've built with a lot of the bank employees. We all have our favorite tellers and bank managers and it's an aspect of this hobby that is often taken for granted.
 
Because I am excessive compulsive and I need to wash my hand several times per day
 
Probably all of the above, but mostly the thrill of the hunt. CRHing is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you're gonna get.

Kindest regards,
Forrest
 
Thanks to everyone who voted in my little poll, I thought I would try something different, although I realize more options should have been added. My guess is the "thrill of the hunt" would be the ultimate answer for everyone!!! Again, thanks for voting :icon_thumleft:
 
1.) thrill of the hunt
2.) I think it'll be cool to have $1k of copper cents
for the vultures err I mean kids to discover as part of their inheritance.
3.) I love wheat cents and you can't beat finding them at face value.
 
Piercesdad said:
Because I am excessive compulsive and I need to wash my hand several times per day

Sometimes I have to wash like 4 or 5 times to get the Clad smell off. It has a certain scent. ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom