What's new

Possible meteorite found in Texas

Ej247

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 10, 2019
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi- I was hoping to get some help identifying this potential space rock. It has passed the following tests:

1) magnet test
2) water density test
3) scouring test on a tile

Here are a few other details: it weighs 140 grams, I have sanded down a corner and can see what looks like iron. It also has tiny silver specs of iron throughout. It has rounded edges and is of irregular shape.

Any idea what this might be? I don’t believe it’s a hematite. Based on the color it’s been on earth for quite some time.

Appreciate any feedback.

203E7E60-2867-4337-8A6C-62E6B15F3017.webpCA27B8A1-9FFF-4A01-98CD-80159067B80C.webp54C4A2FE-9A5A-4610-9CAF-9363A302620C.webp9054E6E9-F94B-4697-808B-80D969C71942.webp23F9E995-F1FD-4005-85BE-811F8C82D934.webp61321EBF-5A6B-4098-A4CA-93066C9BC245.webp00423B70-2A7C-4B35-9D21-AF7DC822344B.webpCBD4028B-FB74-453C-9825-C039B9730507.webp398E13C8-C6F2-47D8-BB5E-29726508C1BE.webpCF16F4B9-346E-4F6C-AE20-EA8D6CF5E257.webp
 
The glaring item that says no is the light color parts of the rock. If that is quartz or some other light color rock, you have a meteorwrong. Also I see no oriented flow lines indicating a fast, hot trip through the atmosphere. If the white portions are lichens or some other growth, the the rock deserves another look.

The tests you cite are good starting points, but even the three combined do not indicate a meteorite.

Sanding down a spot really does not say much. Polish that spot to between 4000 and 10000 grit, apply a few drops of dilute nitric acid, rinse with water, and if it is a nickel-iron alloy commonly found in meteorites, the widmanstatten pattern should readily appear.

Personally, I think it is iron slag, possibly a high grade iron ore nodule.

If you believe it may be a meteorite, have it examined by a qualified professional. While it is quite easy to identify most meteorwrongs with pictures, identifying meteorites by the same method is much more difficult.


Time for more coffee.
 
Last edited:
Have a geologist at your local college take a look. Good luck!:occasion14:
 
From what I have read, their are no pores, bubbles, or pits in iron meteorites. My guess would be slag. That's only my guess.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom