Potential sites for people in NH

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are potential sites, you still need to find out who the owner is and get permission. They might be in a state protected preserve and you could never get permission. You have to do the rest of the home work. All I know is they are in the woods and look very interesting. I would be all over them from my experience with lidar.
Cellar holes(red)
Old roads(purple)
Old farm field(green)
Merry Christmas 🎅

Old road with what looks like at least one large cellar hole, with another possible across the old road.
D10B503F-DDFF-490E-8226-9D2E91F84542.jpeg
37AFEF24-1115-4A1C-A006-1659788F0E6B.jpeg
A8DB8F68-5F23-4F07-9D01-51D90D06F5D4.jpeg

Many old roads, with what looks like 3 cellar holes. Looks like it use to be a pretty happening area. Probably more cellar holes in the area.
4BFE2F1B-EAB3-4C19-91D2-85A3131DE733.jpeg
FD908E55-CF97-49B0-AF92-82A5D38F217A.jpeg

9B69B27F-E3F4-4708-BBB8-27C1D949E22C.jpeg

Moved the 3rd site to the Massachusetts section. Where it belonged.

Ho ho ho… Santa dropping gifts

Attachments

• 278EDF76-0A34-4903-AEC2-FFF2F0925B42.jpeg
    278EDF76-0A34-4903-AEC2-FFF2F0925B42.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 25
  • BF6649EF-EDB0-4CE0-834E-4AABD36C6570.jpeg
    BF6649EF-EDB0-4CE0-834E-4AABD36C6570.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 25
  • FC5641A7-E74F-4826-9D0E-101483BFECA7.jpeg
    FC5641A7-E74F-4826-9D0E-101483BFECA7.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome research as usual. I need to learn how to use Lidar maps myself as I'm sure there are some really old homesites near me as well.

***Just so folks know, the last site is in Massachusetts.

OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome research as usual. I need to learn how to use Lidar maps myself as I'm sure there are some really old homesites near me as well.

***Just so folks know, the last site is in Massachusetts.
Whoops I guess I went a little 2 far south on that last one. I will have to move it to the MA section. My plane was to do a few potential sites for every state. Starting from Maine and spreading out from there.
But maybe I should start in PA? Any particular section it’s a big state

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoops I guess I went a little 2 far south on that last one. I will have to move it to the MA section. My plane was to do a few potential sites for every state. Starting from Maine and spreading out from there.
But maybe I should start in PA? Any particular section it’s a big state
Wow I really appreciate the offer. Thank you.

Actually there are state forests across the river from me which probably hold better opportunities. And they're closer too. 8-) If you're so inclined: Wharton State Forest, Brendan T. Byrne State Forest and/or Penn State Forest in New Jersey would be great. I know these areas are large so I understand if you don't want to take them on. Either way, I admire your research and seeing your posts. Thank you for that.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
These are potential sites, you still need to find out who the owner is and get permission. They might be in a state protected preserve and you could never get permission. You have to do the rest of the home work. All I know is they are in the woods and look very interesting. I would be all over them from my experience with lidar.
Cellar holes(red)
Old roads(purple)
Old farm field(green)
Merry Christmas 🎅

Old road with what looks like at least one large cellar hole, with another possible across the old road.
View attachment 2103036 View attachment 2103037 View attachment 2103038

Many old roads, with what looks like 3 cellar holes. Looks like it use to be a pretty happening area. Probably more cellar holes in the area.
View attachment 2103039 View attachment 2103040
View attachment 2103045

Moved the 3rd site to the Massachusetts section. Where it belonged.

Ho ho ho… Santa dropping gifts
Wish I lived a little closer as I would definitely take advantage.
However, very kind of you to do this research and share.

dukeblaster

Oct 31, 2023
Hi... I'm pretty familiar with these areas. The land you specified in Rye, NH on the first few pics looks like city owned land (rye conservation land) when looking at the property maps. Although, there is a tiny thin strip of land that is privately owned that goes through your red circled area. I'm not sure if there is an easy access point to that center of woods (lots of rich folks homes circling the area), but I've detected other Rye owned land without issue. Not 100% sure its legal in Rye (didn't find anything obvious in the bylaws or on the town website but didn't look that hard). Next time I'm out on my bicycle or electric unicycle I'll buzz around and take a look in the area for access points (parents/brother live in the area). I haven't been in that particular set of woods before though.

The Mass spot is part of the Martin Burns wildlife management area. Technically its a "no go" on state owned land in Mass. That said I don't think its very much patrolled outside of hunting season. There is defiantly stuff in there though: -multiple cellar holes on the end of "wayside ave" past the "rusty can" BBQ restaurant... i recommend for lunch. That entry point rarely gets used but there isn't really parking and you need to bike or walk there pretty much.
-old "chipman" mine back there with structures / old mine shaft. Its loaded with so much scrape that i wouldn't know where to begin. Not technically legal either but cool to check out!
-Stone walls everywhere!
It can be a fun walk through, but careful during hunting season (it gets pretty nutty back there in shot gun deer season).

I've seen naive folks right next to main roads hitting cellar holes on state land. I personally don't venture into those areas much to detect (even though very tempting!) since there are many other town own plots of land with cellar holes that I don't have to look over my shoulder every two seconds (I might have inadvertently crossed boarders by a hundred yards by accident in the past before all of these free parcel maps were available). I'd rather not get a big fine or equipment taken. Byfield, Groveland, Georgetown, Rowely, Boxford, and a few of the other areas are loaded with town owned spots that I don't think get hit very often... nor do the towns have specific laws for detecting (Topsfield might). I've never had issues with folks or law enforcement (usually they are interested in finds etc). Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread