price for refrigerators and such Pp

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Yester day I took in 920 lbs of which consisted of a refridgerator, a old deep freeze a couple olc microwaves that were all metal not the plastic ones, and a couple old lawn mowers, took off the stuff that is more valuable and hauled it in, got 35 dollars which made it not even 4 cents a pound, do they not pay as much for this stuff or (as I am assuming) that the guy just wants to rip off anyone he can

K

Kentucky Kache

I got about $16.00 for one large air conditioner not long ago. Looks to me like they ripped you off.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Yeah, I only take certain items tohim, I never take any brass or copper to him, it would be better to justthrow it in a ditch then take it to him, his yard is just alot closer, a mile away compared to 35 or 45

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get 10 cents a pound here in the DFW area, which would have been 92 dollars for that load. Sounds like he is ripping you off.

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
In Houston that would be shredable scrap iron which pays $0.1225 to $0.13 a pound (just depends which yard I take it to). I can't believe it pays that much but it has stayed at this price now for a couple months now.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
when you take in mixed stuff like that, they pay you for the lowest value. That would be the tin from the freezer & fridge.

pull the motor out of the fridge, freezer, microwave-(fan motor)
wires, cords
if the freon is already out , then there is copper or aluminum

The lawnmower has better steel but you have to separate it too, throw the tin with the fridge,
pull the motor apart for the aluminum
just depends how much per hour your time is worth

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Don't forget to pull the wall off the inside of the freezer there is an aluminum coil in there also. And take the freon container off the fridge and freezer or they will think that there is freon in it and charge you a fee for freon disposal

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would have got 90 to 100 dollars at my yard.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I heard about scrapping from a friend and have been doing it now for a couple of months. Here in my area, the going rate is $12.50 per 100lbs or $.1250 per pound. People are always throwing away washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, bicycles and just plain metal objects, don't take much to fill up my trailer which when I go will be about 900-1000lbs. The good part is that the dealers that buy these metals don't file it so income tax is really up to you if you want to claim it.........It pays for the gas and then some.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got ripped off big time! Check some of the refridgerator repair places close to you. They'll sometimes buy them. You could've made more for the fridge & freezer than you got for the whole load. Check out appliance repair shops too. Some will buy micros & small appliances for more than scrap to fill their parts boxes.

Around here micro waves will bring $15 ea working. Most of the ones I find that aren't working only need a fuse. $1.29 at most. Vacum cleaners $10 - $25ea at the repair shop.

Scrap yard isn't the only game in town. :thumbsup: Think out of the box.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
boogeyman said:
You got ripped off big time! Check some of the refridgerator repair places close to you. They'll sometimes buy them. You could've made more for the fridge & freezer than you got for the whole load. Check out appliance repair shops too. Some will buy micros & small appliances for more than scrap to fill their parts boxes.

Around here micro waves will bring $15 ea working. Most of the ones I find that aren't working only need a fuse. $1.29 at most. Vacum cleaners $10 - $25ea at the repair shop.

Scrap yard isn't the only game in town. :thumbsup: Think out of the box.

THANKS didn't think about checking them out!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the room, test the reefer to see if it works. If it does, wash it out with some clorox & put it up on Craigs list for $40 - $65, or put it in the trade section for a tool/s to make your scrapping operation easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread