What's new

Pyrite found while metal detecting dirt piles in Goldsboro, NC

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
289
Golden Thread
1
Location
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I were detecting some piles of dirt that apparently came from the Neuse River, perhaps at a bridge site. We found these cool pieces of fools gold during our detecting. The hooked shaped ones are a mystery, but they are solid fools gold. The egg shaped rock had a cut in it that we thought may have been made by indians, but normally that type of cut goes all the way around for a hammerhead, we kept it just in case.
 

Attachments

  • rocks, June 2010 001.webp
    rocks, June 2010 001.webp
    115.8 KB · Views: 954
  • rocks, June 2010 001.webp
    rocks, June 2010 001.webp
    115.8 KB · Views: 616
I had a similar experience in Texas. While out exploring a creek, and prospecting for fossils, I saw something glinting in the sun. The closer I got, I started seeing a gold color. I got excited for a couple of seconds until i got too the specimens and found them to be large Pyrite crystals. I collected some of them. They turned out to be the only thing I found that day.
 
They are pretty in the bright sun and fun to collect for sure. Thanks for your comment.
 
you should see the fossil pyrotized Ammonites I found in England, on the southern coast, near Charmouth.They look like robotic machines, more than the creatures they once were...
 
terryo said:
you should see the fossil pyrotized Ammonites I found in England, on the southern coast, near Charmouth.They look like robotic machines, more than the creatures they once were...

would love to see pics of them!
 
Yes pictures would be nice. I'm envisioning fearsome robitic ammonites roaming the cretaceous seas of europe.
 
zerojinx said:
Yes pictures would be nice. I'm envisioning fearsome robitic ammonites roaming the cretaceous seas of europe.

;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom