Question about bringing CRH finds from Canada back to USA

RoyHalladay

May 16, 2011
We are considering a trip to Canada (Niagara Falls area) this summer. Is it legal, or allowed, for me to buy pennies by the box or rolls in Canada (at banks) and bring them back to the US? What kind of issues will come up with the Customs people? Curious since searching for copper pennies could yield higher results due to them being made of copper until 1996. All apologies if this topic has been raised before (couldn't find it). Thank for the help and HH!

Upvote 0

CanadianCRH

May 16, 2011
Funny, I live in canada and was planning on doing the exact opposite. A trip to buffalo for a weekend to search halfs, since we don't have them here..

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
http://canadaonline.about.com/od/customs/a/customsmoney.htm

There are no limits to the amount of money that you can bring into or take out of Canada. However, amounts of CAN$10,000 or more must be reported to customs at the Canadian border.

Failure to report amounts totalling CAN$10,000 or more may result in seizure of the money and penalties of CAN$250 to CAN$5000.

If you are carrying a total of CAN$10,000 (or its equivalent) or more - in coins, domestic and foreign bank notes, securities such as travellers cheques, stocks and bonds - you must complete a Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report - Individual Form E677 (in PDF).

OP
OP
R

RoyHalladay

May 16, 2011
Agro - Thank you. Wasn't certain about the legality of it. Didn't want to lose the money or have to pay extra at the border.

Canadian CRH - Best of luck to you!!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I think Canada has export laws similar to ours on exporting pennies. I think it's a lower amount than 10K. They know that people could take their coins and bring them back to the states to melt also. There's laws to prevent it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread