question for all you 1715 fleet treasure hunters

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Say, just say, that while detecting on the beach and instead of the occasional cob, you happen upon an escudo, say a doubloon(No...I didn't, but let's say). I know that most on here would squirrel it away with the rest of their "treasures" but what if you wanted to cash it in? I've seen some that are priced in the 4-5 thousand range. But wouldn't you need to turn it over to the state, get authentication, the sate would get their "cut", the IRS would get their "cut". You would end up with probably less than spot after everyone else got "theirs". So...If you needed the cash, what would you do? Sell it under the table, without authentication? If it was a piece-of-eight you'd get the going price, spot, less commission, for an ounce of gold. The more I think about it...Unless you find a fistful, the easiest thing to do would be to mount it in a bezel and where it on a chain for braggin' rights.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it was handed down for generations and go to Mel Fisher and tell him look what you missed

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You send it to a grading service to be authenticated, graded and slabbed. then you sell or auction it to the highest bidder. You'll never get provenance that it came from a treasure fleet wreck so theres no reason to to even chase that rabbit down the hole.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh, it’s a thinker

OP
OP
E

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You gotta let the state know, legally, right?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no you do not have to let the state know - I know a bunch of guys that have found double escudos
soe keep them others sell them - if you put one on ebay or go to a dealer they have no way of knowing that
you found on treasure coast or where it may have come from - in Uk you may have to report it but
I have never heard you have to here - though Fisher's museum does like it when you let them know what and where
to record it - if its a sand find - its yours to do what you wish. Good example is Gary Drayton that has been on Oak island show and
others and found a gold and emerald ring supposedly from the fleet worth a lot....a lot alot.
He still has it as far as I know and did not have to report to anyone or share with state or irs

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not the laws we have in this country. But the California couple that found the stash of gold coins on their property sold them made it all public and think California charged them a tax. I could be wrong.
Do not think private transactions are taxed.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The assumption is the problem....that "the state" owns everything and we are all obligated to report everything to them. That assumption is false.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure where this notion comes from that someone who finds something while engaged in a hobby, owes anyone a tax. I'm familiar with federal tax code, and not aware of any provision that requires payment for finds when sold. It is not earned income, nor is it capital gains. If you are in the business of treasure hunting, that is a different story - but then you would be able to deduct expenses and depreciate equipment too.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no you do not have to let the state know - I know a bunch of guys that have found double escudos
soe keep them others sell them - if you put one on ebay or go to a dealer they have no way of knowing that
you found on treasure coast or where it may have come from - in Uk you may have to report it but
I have never heard you have to here - though Fisher's museum does like it when you let them know what and where
to record it - if its a sand find - its yours to do what you wish. Good example is Gary Drayton that has been on Oak island show and
others and found a gold and emerald ring supposedly from the fleet worth a lot....a lot alot.
He still has it as far as I know and did not have to report to anyone or share with state or irs

Starts at 3:50

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure where this notion comes from that someone who finds something while engaged in a hobby, owes anyone a tax. I'm familiar with federal tax code, and not aware of any provision that requires payment for finds when sold. It is not earned income, nor is it capital gains.

Federal tax code covers all income, earned or unearned. If you find treasure, you owe taxes on the value of the treasure in the year you found it, whether you sell it or not. The only exception, I believe, is raw nuggets; they are taxed when sold.

The vast majority of recreational treasure hunters do not declare their findings, whether $50 in clad or a $5000 coin. Like the capital gains on the now-rare comic books I bought as a kid, these slip under the radar. But people should be aware of the tax laws before they start showing off their Big Find and discover that Uncle Sam is more interested than anyone else.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am pretty sure Carl-NC is correct, so keep it on the down low. Very hard for the IRS to catch that kind of found treasure as income. I know a couple of guys who clean up in expensive jewelry on the East Coast Florida beaches and never post any of their finds on Youtube or any forums or anywhere for obvious reasons.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure Carl-NC is correct, so keep it on the down low. Very hard for the IRS to catch that kind of found treasure as income. I know a couple of guys who clean up in expensive jewelry on the East Coast Florida beaches and never post any of their finds on Youtube or any forums or anywhere for obvious reasons.

haha, thats funny. Everything that involves $$$ leaves a paper trail. Every penny put into or withdrawn from a bank, paypal, ebay, every way you can move money is tracked by the govt. Unless you live in the dark ages of stuffing cash in your mattress, you cant hide.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Federal tax code covers all income, earned or unearned. If you find treasure, you owe taxes on the value of the treasure in the year you found it, whether you sell it or not. The only exception, I believe, is raw nuggets; they are taxed when sold.

The vast majority of recreational treasure hunters do not declare their findings, whether $50 in clad or a $5000 coin. Like the capital gains on the now-rare comic books I bought as a kid, these slip under the radar. But people should be aware of the tax laws before they start showing off their Big Find and discover that Uncle Sam is more interested than anyone else.

When I'm wrong, I admit it. Upon doing further research, I admit that I was wrong and you are correct. IRS Publication 525 addresses income from many sources. Under "other income" on page 31, third column, of this publication is this written:

"Found property. If you find and keep property
that doesn't belong to you that has been lost or
abandoned (treasure trove), it's taxable to you
at its FMV in the first year it's your undisputed
possession."

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

Interesting to read that bribes received, kickbacks, value of stolen property, and proceeds from illegal activities such as drug dealing, must also be reported as income.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting to read that bribes received, kickbacks, value of stolen property, and proceeds from illegal activities such as drug dealing, must also be reported as income.

Thats just what they added so they could prosecute people who they had nothing else to convict them with. If the govt doesnt like you, but cant pin you with any crime, they can always put you away for decades because you failed to report a single $ to the IRS.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You JUST SEND it to me I WILL CHECK it out and TELL NO ONE> BTW NO RETURN ADDRESS NEEDED !!! :) :) :)

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jason, you got it. It is a cover all clause for those just in case situations where you pissed them off. Once you get involved with the IRS on any significant matter you better have an older wiser tax consultant. It is even better when this tax consultant has worked for the appropriate taxing authority you are facing and knows the people. You should NEVER try to face a taxing authority yourself. Never, EVER!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread