joe_black
Jr. Member
- #1
Thread Owner
I started md'ing about 3months ago and have already come up with some good coins. However 3 of them are heavily corroded to the point that they can barely be identified and i'd like to get some of the crud off. I read on this forum (cant find the post or i'd put a link here) that suggested placing aluminum foil in a heavy salt/water solution and allow to sit for several hours. Are you familiar with this process? and would you consider this an acceptible method for getting enough crud off to identify? I cant tell if these coins would be valuable or not, so it seems impracticle to send them off and pay so much in fees. Thx in advance
Oh yeah, i'm quite sure that what i have are 2 copper and 1 quater. I think i see a bit of silver through the crud on the quarter, dont think its a recent make.
Oh yeah, i'm quite sure that what i have are 2 copper and 1 quater. I think i see a bit of silver through the crud on the quarter, dont think its a recent make.
I used tap water. Since cleaning that coin, i've tried the same method on a couple of gunked up clad pennies, and one merc dime. I did a little research on this method of artifact cleaning, and its helpful to loosely wrap the object in the foil as opposed to sitting the object on top of it. Also using Hot water accelerates the process, its said that boiling is even acceptable, although i've not felt the need for it. On the next cleaning i'll try filtered water.






