tnt-hunter
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Apr 20, 2018
- Messages
- 2,057
- Reaction score
- 12,102
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Mountain Maryland
- Detector(s) used
- Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I took a trip back to the scout camp. I’ve covered most of the campsites and activity areas, but there are always new losses and going outside the areas covered before sometimes pays off.
I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 71 coins with a face value of $6.92, 18 camp tent pegs (this area started using metal tent frames that don’t need pegs), a shed deer antler, part of a new style belt buckle, a copper metal work merit badge project, a carabiner with a compass in it, a silver quarter, a neckerchief slide, a game tab, a rope tensioner, a number 4 leather stamp, a sinker, a live rifle cartridge, an aluminum hatchet handle wedge, two .45 caliber slugs, a bolo tie end, whole aluminum cans, melted aluminum from the campfires, 22 tabs and 4 pencil ends.
The silver quarter is a rare find at this camp. It didn’t open until 1980 so not many silver coins. It was part of an old farm. I found it when I expanded the search of a camp site that is on an area used heavily by the farm and has produced several other silver coins. The neckerchief slide is one of many I have found here and will be cleaned, painted and given to a new scout. This game tab is from a Coca-Cola game.
DAY 2
I went back to the middle school and had some crazy weather. When I got there it was 48° by the time I left it was a bright sunny 88°. I worked a section I have walked over many times on my way to other grids. When I walk over I go faster than gridding and cherry pick targets. This time I was gridding low and slow and digging all mid, high and combined signals.
I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 23 coins with a face value of $1.22, a ring, a cross, a numbered window screen fastener, a bulb, aluminum bottle caps, aluminum nails, some can slaw, a piece of copper flashing, 41 tabs and 12 pencil ends.
When I was almost finished the grid I got a mixed signal that didn’t sound great, but I was cleaning up and I use “when in doubt, dig it out” as my rule of thumb so I dug it. Out popped a nice big gold class ring. I was still getting a signal from the hole I thought might be deep iron and I was right, a nice big rusty nail, the reason for the mixed signal.
The ring is a college ring from the same college I attended for my BS degree and my masters degree. I’m sure the ring belonged to one of the teachers. The ring is from 1959 and has initials inside. It is 10k and was made by Dieges & Clust and has an emerald (tested). It has a break and shows lots of wear from having been worn a long time. It weighs 13 grams or 0.42 troy ounces. If you take out for the stone it’s still a nice chunk of gold. At today’s value I could get about $580 from the local jewelers, a nice days work. But I think it is more rewarding to return it than to get the cash.
The owner would be around 89 if he went right from high school to college. I found his name and picture in the yearbook on line. Now I need to do some research and try and find him or his decedents so the ring can be returned. I retired from the school system and seeing this guy’s picture and name he does look familiar. I never worked directly with him. Wish me luck. This is class ring number 31 and so far I have returned 20 of them. The last one I found was at this school as well, but the owner is deceased and has no living relatives so no return for that one.
This ring is why I go carefully and cover every square inch. You don’t expect things like this to pop up in many of these areas, but you do hope for it and you’re glad when it does occur. If you work hard enough, it occurs more often.
DAY 3
I decided to try another section of the dry park swimming areas. There are 3 swimming areas in this park and I have done parts of all 3. So far I have found 12 silvers at this park in the past few weeks so I’m hoping for more silver and maybe some gold. Over the years I have found hundreds of pieces of silver and gold jewelry here.
I spent 5 hours swingin the ATPro covering the dry bed where they launch the rented boats. I haven’t done this part for a very long time and there were lots of target. All together I found 48 coins with a face value of $4.17, a little cheapie jewelry, an earbud, a pellet gun pellet, a Pepsi game tab (letter P), a key, lots of fishing lures, 68 sinkers, a toy car, some foil and 8 tabs.
The sinkers were everywhere. Tiny little BB size split shot all the way up to 2 oz. For some strange reason I like finding sinkers and bullets. No gold or silver like I was hoping for, but lots of interesting targets and a decent coins count and value. Overall a good hunt in spite of the snow, rain, wind and falling temperatures I had on this trip.
DAY 4
I went back to the older scout camp to see what I could find. This camp is only used for special events and visiting troops needing a camping spot to rent. It opened in 1950 and was used every summer for about 70 years. I covered most of it when I started detecting, but I was using a cheaper machine and I know I missed some goodies. I’m giving it a partial going over to see when might have been lost since I was here last and what I might have missed.
I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 63 coins with a face value of $4.57, some camp tent pegs, 2 railroad spikes, a 10 pound weight, a tape measure, an old style can opener, a rope tensioner, 2 pieces of aluminum pot pliers, 3 wheaties, foil, melted aluminum from the campfires, some brass tarp grommets and 5 tabs.
The pot plier pieces go together. Not sure where the rest is. Nothing great this trip, but I have found goodies in the past so I will be back to try again.
NON DETECTOR FINDS
The time of year for tiny flowers to pop up
Another good week in the books with silver, gold and a new mission, to find the owner of the class ring. I’ll let you know if I have any luck. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
I took a trip back to the scout camp. I’ve covered most of the campsites and activity areas, but there are always new losses and going outside the areas covered before sometimes pays off.
I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 71 coins with a face value of $6.92, 18 camp tent pegs (this area started using metal tent frames that don’t need pegs), a shed deer antler, part of a new style belt buckle, a copper metal work merit badge project, a carabiner with a compass in it, a silver quarter, a neckerchief slide, a game tab, a rope tensioner, a number 4 leather stamp, a sinker, a live rifle cartridge, an aluminum hatchet handle wedge, two .45 caliber slugs, a bolo tie end, whole aluminum cans, melted aluminum from the campfires, 22 tabs and 4 pencil ends.
The silver quarter is a rare find at this camp. It didn’t open until 1980 so not many silver coins. It was part of an old farm. I found it when I expanded the search of a camp site that is on an area used heavily by the farm and has produced several other silver coins. The neckerchief slide is one of many I have found here and will be cleaned, painted and given to a new scout. This game tab is from a Coca-Cola game.
DAY 2
I went back to the middle school and had some crazy weather. When I got there it was 48° by the time I left it was a bright sunny 88°. I worked a section I have walked over many times on my way to other grids. When I walk over I go faster than gridding and cherry pick targets. This time I was gridding low and slow and digging all mid, high and combined signals.
I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 23 coins with a face value of $1.22, a ring, a cross, a numbered window screen fastener, a bulb, aluminum bottle caps, aluminum nails, some can slaw, a piece of copper flashing, 41 tabs and 12 pencil ends.
When I was almost finished the grid I got a mixed signal that didn’t sound great, but I was cleaning up and I use “when in doubt, dig it out” as my rule of thumb so I dug it. Out popped a nice big gold class ring. I was still getting a signal from the hole I thought might be deep iron and I was right, a nice big rusty nail, the reason for the mixed signal.
The ring is a college ring from the same college I attended for my BS degree and my masters degree. I’m sure the ring belonged to one of the teachers. The ring is from 1959 and has initials inside. It is 10k and was made by Dieges & Clust and has an emerald (tested). It has a break and shows lots of wear from having been worn a long time. It weighs 13 grams or 0.42 troy ounces. If you take out for the stone it’s still a nice chunk of gold. At today’s value I could get about $580 from the local jewelers, a nice days work. But I think it is more rewarding to return it than to get the cash.
The owner would be around 89 if he went right from high school to college. I found his name and picture in the yearbook on line. Now I need to do some research and try and find him or his decedents so the ring can be returned. I retired from the school system and seeing this guy’s picture and name he does look familiar. I never worked directly with him. Wish me luck. This is class ring number 31 and so far I have returned 20 of them. The last one I found was at this school as well, but the owner is deceased and has no living relatives so no return for that one.
This ring is why I go carefully and cover every square inch. You don’t expect things like this to pop up in many of these areas, but you do hope for it and you’re glad when it does occur. If you work hard enough, it occurs more often.
DAY 3
I decided to try another section of the dry park swimming areas. There are 3 swimming areas in this park and I have done parts of all 3. So far I have found 12 silvers at this park in the past few weeks so I’m hoping for more silver and maybe some gold. Over the years I have found hundreds of pieces of silver and gold jewelry here.
I spent 5 hours swingin the ATPro covering the dry bed where they launch the rented boats. I haven’t done this part for a very long time and there were lots of target. All together I found 48 coins with a face value of $4.17, a little cheapie jewelry, an earbud, a pellet gun pellet, a Pepsi game tab (letter P), a key, lots of fishing lures, 68 sinkers, a toy car, some foil and 8 tabs.
The sinkers were everywhere. Tiny little BB size split shot all the way up to 2 oz. For some strange reason I like finding sinkers and bullets. No gold or silver like I was hoping for, but lots of interesting targets and a decent coins count and value. Overall a good hunt in spite of the snow, rain, wind and falling temperatures I had on this trip.
DAY 4
I went back to the older scout camp to see what I could find. This camp is only used for special events and visiting troops needing a camping spot to rent. It opened in 1950 and was used every summer for about 70 years. I covered most of it when I started detecting, but I was using a cheaper machine and I know I missed some goodies. I’m giving it a partial going over to see when might have been lost since I was here last and what I might have missed.
I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 63 coins with a face value of $4.57, some camp tent pegs, 2 railroad spikes, a 10 pound weight, a tape measure, an old style can opener, a rope tensioner, 2 pieces of aluminum pot pliers, 3 wheaties, foil, melted aluminum from the campfires, some brass tarp grommets and 5 tabs.
The pot plier pieces go together. Not sure where the rest is. Nothing great this trip, but I have found goodies in the past so I will be back to try again.
NON DETECTOR FINDS
The time of year for tiny flowers to pop up
Another good week in the books with silver, gold and a new mission, to find the owner of the class ring. I’ll let you know if I have any luck. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Upvote
22







