What's new

Question on silver (help)

onfire

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
2,708
Reaction score
1,336
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
picked up 4lb. of flat ware today marked WM ROGERS I S for 15.00$ also another 3 lb. marked wm rogers overlaid IS for 5.00$ any idea of scrap value on these??????? or is this worthless??
 
Hi,
Without being an expert I am going to say they are not worth much in silver content, probably plated in silver. If they are in good shape, they can be very collectible for people that like the silver look. I generally stick to the ones that say sterling or have the British hallmarks on them when I am "treasure hunting". I do not think you over paid for them. Hopefully you get a better answer from someone that knows for sure. :-\
 
I would call the precious metal dealers in your area since they deal in metal all day long they might have a good idea. They deal in what is termed junk silver allll the time. Many serious investors buy bags of junk silver.

Silver is going to be one of the biggest gains of all the precious metals once we get into the third and last stage of the silver bull market according to Mike Maloney of http://www.GoldSilver.com
 
onfire said:
picked up 4lb. of flat ware today marked WM ROGERS I S for 15.00$ also another 3 lb. marked wm rogers overlaid IS for 5.00$ any idea of scrap value on these??????? or is this worthless??
the value is next to non for scrap silver... they are all plated silver with base metal could be copper or brass if so that will have some value but I don't know how much... only buy things that says STERLING or 925/1000 .925
 
creeper71 said:
onfire said:
picked up 4lb. of flat ware today marked WM ROGERS I S for 15.00$ also another 3 lb. marked wm rogers overlaid IS for 5.00$ any idea of scrap value on these??????? or is this worthless??
the value is next to non for scrap silver... they are all plated silver with base metal could be copper or brass if so that will have some value but I don't know how much... only buy things that says STERLING or 925/1000 .925

When you see the name Rogers, assume plated; and that includes the whole family . . . William, & his sons, F. B., no first name, I.S., Oneida, Rogers Brothers, Billy Bob Rogers, et al. They might as well as have invented plating - they made a science out of it. I heard a rumor that someone had actually seen Rogers sterling, but I never did. Still, I'd prefer to eat from Rogers over stainless.
To summarize: Seeing Rogers Sterling is like meeting Rod Serling -- you've entered the Twilight Zone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom