What's new

Help with bottle i found.

Speedglass

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2026
Messages
44
Reaction score
128
Golden Thread
0
I found this bottle recently and i was wondering if anyone out there can help me out. At first glance I thought that this bottle must be fairly old ( I was thinking 1800's) It’s a cork top, it has alot of bubbles, and it appears to have a pontil mark. But the pontil mark is not on the bottom were i would expect to to be but on the edge of one of the corners also there appears to be a seam going from one corner to the other. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?
 

Attachments

  • 20260622_184528.webp
    20260622_184528.webp
    688.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20260622_184633.webp
    20260622_184633.webp
    773.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20260622_184644.webp
    20260622_184644.webp
    649.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20260622_184719.webp
    20260622_184719.webp
    362.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20260622_184755.webp
    20260622_184755.webp
    580 KB · Views: 49
  • 20260622_184804.webp
    20260622_184804.webp
    440.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20260622_184811.webp
    20260622_184811.webp
    394.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20260622_184815.webp
    20260622_184815.webp
    318.6 KB · Views: 51
Nice looking bottle.

The circular scar on the side of the bottle may not be a true ‘pontil mark’ but rather a result of the use of a snap case tool. From the mid-19th century, the snap-case began to replace the pontil rod and this gripped the body of the bottle from the sides to hold it while the glassmaker finished the neck and lip. Sometimes it leaves marks or impressions where it held the glass if it wasn’t allowed to cool enough.

snap case.webp


Bottles blown into multi-part moulds can exhibit vertical, horizontal, or diagonal seams on the body depending on the construction of the mould
 
Post a pic of the base please. I'm only seeing bubbles. How about a closeup of this "Pontil mark" you are talking about.
 
Post a pic of the base please. I'm only seeing bubbles. How about a closeup of this "Pontil mark" you are talking about.
You can see the mark i am taking about in the 1st and 4th pics I provided earlier. But here is a couple more. As I stated earlier the mark is not on the bottom of the bottle but I will provide a pic of the bottom as well.
 

Attachments

  • 20260622_200435.webp
    20260622_200435.webp
    642.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20260622_200447.webp
    20260622_200447.webp
    399.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20260622_200509.webp
    20260622_200509.webp
    384 KB · Views: 55
I don’t believe your bottle is a Pontil. Every Pontil scar that I’ve ever seen has been on the bottom of the bottle. Judging the style and glass color, I think it’s more around the 1880s range. There are more knowledgeable people about glass than I am on here. Let’s see what they have to say. It’s definitely a nice bottle though.
 
I don’t believe your bottle is a Pontil. Every Pontil scar that I’ve ever seen has been on the bottom of the bottle. Judging the style and glass color, I think it’s more around the 1880s range. There are more knowledgeable people about glass than I am on here. Let’s see what they have to say. It’s definitely a nice bottle though.
Thank-you, I appreciate all input!
 
Machine made the seam goes over the lip. Then there's the applied lip, then before that was the applied neck. The seam ends where the next application was started.
This link is probably one the better known informative guide to dating bottles.
Historic Bottle Website - Homepage https://share.google/z9JhEvJfYJ14bxEMS
 
Machine made the seam goes over the lip. Then there's the applied lip, then before that was the applied neck. The seam ends where the next application was started.
This link is probably one the better known informative guide to dating bottles.
Historic Bottle Website - Homepage https://share.google/z9JhEvJfYJ14bxEMS
Thank-you, I just took a brief look at the site and it looks like i will be spending alot of time researching there.
 
That looks like a closed chip. Be careful when cleaning the bottle as you could pop it out.
I agree it appears like that in the picture but while looking at it in hand doesn't look like a a chip or fracture. I will take another look tonight after I get home. Not trying to be in denial, just hoping that it's not a chip. Thank-you for the input!
 
It could be a trapped air bubble in the glass as well. It's hard to tell from a picture.
 
Sorry, it is not a pontil mark,it has nothing to do with a snap case or a pontil, Its a bubble ,if it has some roughness to it , it is an open bubble . Nice little find though,but nothing special. Keep your shovel dirty !! ☺
 
Looks like a bubble to me too. The guy who had the YouTube "Below the Prairie" (https://www.youtube.com/@BelowthePlains) has shown similar bottles in the past. Just from watching his digging, he's obviously an expert in old bottles. And I know this! He has a lot of upper body muscles!
 
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. After looking at the bottle with a jewelers loupe, I agree that it does appear to be a bubble. I half to admit, I really didn't believe it to be, only because of the size of it. This bottle has easily a couple hundred bubbles in it but all are much smaller. But one thing I noticed upon close inspection was that some of them, including the larger one in question are very close to the surface. So close that there are micro cracks right on the surface that outline the shape of the bubbles themselves. The cracks don't go very deep, but they do give the appearance of closed chips as one member already suggested. I also noticed a couple of impurities in the glass. There is a small black speck as well as blue speck. As another member stated, this bottle is nothing special, which I didn't think it was, but it is interesting to me, none the less. It would be nice if I could figure out the age. I will have to do some research on the Historic Bottle Website.

Thank-you to everyone who gave in sight or Kind word!
Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom