Question

We all have lost something at one time or another and not necessarily from being careless. I just hope when it happens to anyone, that whoever finds has the heart to at least make an attempt to find the "owner". I don't think anyone needs to go to extraordinary lengths to return something but an ad in the newspaper and/or Craig's list is not asking much or taking too much of your precious time.

An ad in the paper or craigslist is probably the worst idea. You'll be called by every crackpot and charlatan out there to try to scam you out of it.

I've found things of value and kept them, and I've found things of value and made an effort to find the owner. Context is key, I think. I try always to do the honorable thing, and I feel badly for those who have never discovered the joy of being kind.

An ad in the paper or craigslist is probably the worst idea. You'll be called by every crackpot and charlatan out there to try to scam you out of it.
Really? In the many years I've been doing it, I've had only one person try to milk me for details. I make the ad very vague as to what it looks like. Just basic info on where it was found. THEY'RE the one who has to come up with a detailed description.

I read a thread similar to this where peeps beach hunting found rings and the were people trying to claim the ring, who didn't loose it by the way, the story was quiet informative on how to deal with these so called claimers, if the ring has an inscription ask them to tell you what it says, they SHOULD be able to recite it exactly, if it doesn't have an inscription then still ask them to recite the inscription. If there was none, tell them so, and prove that they are full of it. If they answer correctly they may still give you a finders fee or at least a big thank you! I would happily return a ring to its rightful owner, but they had better have there ducks in a line.:blackbeard:

I read a thread similar to this where peeps beach hunting found rings and the were people trying to claim the ring, who didn't loose it by the way, the story was quiet informative on how to deal with these so called claimers, if the ring has an inscription ask them to tell you what it says, they SHOULD be able to recite it exactly, if it doesn't have an inscription then still ask them to recite the inscription. If there was none, tell them so, and prove that they are full of it. If they answer correctly they may still give you a finders fee or at least a big thank you! I would happily return a ring to its rightful owner, but they had better have there ducks in a line.:blackbeard:
That was the first thing they did wrong.....telling someone at the time that they found a ring. Second, if your going to play 20 questions with someone and give out info about the ring, you're asking for trouble. If someone approaches you and asks what you found, I'd recommend that you just say: "not much, a little change and lots of junk". If someone asks if you found THEIR ring, ask them to give a detailed description without giving them ANY hints. If what they lost doesn't match what you found, ask them if they'd like you to search for the lost ring and get all the particulars about the ring and where, when, etc.

That was the first thing they did wrong.....telling someone at the time that they found a ring. Second, if your going to play 20 questions with someone and give out info about the ring, you're asking for trouble. If someone approaches you and asks what you found, I'd recommend that you just say: "not much, a little change and lots of junk". If someone asks if you found THEIR ring, ask them to give a detailed description without giving them ANY hints. If what they lost doesn't match what you found, ask them if they'd like you to search for the lost ring and get all the particulars about the ring and where, when, etc.

Isn't that what I just said.? I believe that they were at the beach and they saw them pick it up. Then they tried to claim it

Last edited:
Sorry I'm not there to help people with there lost stuff your lose my gain. Don't care if the ring is worth 6k or 10 bucks. It goes in my pocket.
Not something I would be bragging about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back