Questions

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
OK I'm relatively new to detecting and have done a little inland and a little on the dry sand at the beach. I have a few questions.

1.) Is the wet sand / surf less / as / more productive than the dry sand area of the beach?

2.) Good / bad of dual freq vs PI machines?

Also I am a certified scuba diver and may in the future want to use a detector to dive with.

Upvote 0

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a book or post that teaches what to look for or is this something that is only learned with time or from more experienced detectorists(spelling/word?)

Search google for... ocean surf sediment transport and read as many articles as you can understand. Spend as much time as you can diving, looking at the ocean floor and watching things move. Sooner or later it will hit you and you will be able to read the ocean floor and go to where the goodies are.

If I could draw I'd draw it out for you but my drawing is limited to the sun & stick people. I don't know if I can find it again but there was a detailed study of the area for long island sound and the surrounding areas. There are some very good holes there that would probably produce buckets of goodies!

The gray arrows in the image below show how articles move at whatever beach is shown. The honey hole in the pic is under #16 where the gray arrows are pointing at each other. The goodies will surround that area.

Attachments

• sediment-transport.jpg
    sediment-transport.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread