What's new

Quick trip back to the colonial watering hole...

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
2,475
Golden Thread
5
Location
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Managed to get out for a brief period though the conditions were not in my favor. Still, even in the hardest of hit areas, there are targets to dig.

I managed 7 musket balls (.54 & .70 balls) and a handful of smaller caliber shot from .40 to pellet. Just as I was leaving I managed into a hole that is filled with .40 shot with very crude sprue marks. I bet there are dozens if not closed to a hundred there and I will certainly go back to get them at some point. On an earlier trip my buddy Beau found one filled with .36 shot as well and I have since found another with a pile of small shot...this place is loaded with lead.

Not just lead in for firearms, but lead sheathing and weights. Notice this lead sheath with square nail holes, all for flushing for early ship construction.

The better finds of the day were the two early buttons, buckle pieces and the crude and early brass needle. This is the second from this site now.

Not bad for a quick 2 or 3 hours in poor conditions.

HH

Dan
 

Attachments

  • 1a.webp
    1a.webp
    380.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 1b.webp
    1b.webp
    72.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 1c.webp
    1c.webp
    189.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 1d.webp
    1d.webp
    126.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 1e.webp
    1e.webp
    137.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 1f.webp
    1f.webp
    137.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 1g.webp
    1g.webp
    128.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 1h.webp
    1h.webp
    192.8 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 20
Congrats on the load of lead and nice relics.
 
Some awesome relics ther!
 
Did you have to chase that needle for a bit? Great finds.
 
Nice relic finds! Congrats!
Wow! A needle in the musket ball stack! That must have been hard to find!
I don't think I've ever seen a found needle before.
 
Dan - your most impressive find IMO is that tiny brass pin. Both you and your detector did a great job recovering that. Those things are supposed to be very common colonial finds, but it's rare that we seem to find one. I'm sure it was no fun today with the tide running exceptionally high plus all that wind, but it didn't seem to deter you much. Nice hunt!
 
Did you have to chase that needle for a bit? Great finds.
The needle was a lucky find...it came up with a handful of stuff while digging a musket ball...this site is rich with debris and one I can't wait to start working with a sifter and dredge
 
I scrap up loads of those dress pins when I'm in the Thames, but mine date to the 16th C. Never detected one though, only the Roman/Medieval Bronze examples.
 
I scrap up loads of those dress pins when I'm in the Thames, but mine date to the 16th C. Never detected one though, only the Roman/Medieval Bronze examples.
Yea man, as I said, this was more of an eyeball...I did detect one at the same site last summer. most of the items from this site date 1630s-1700
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom