Rare 1847 Headless Large Cent - Politial movement?

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out this morning but it was too cold and windy for my liking so I called it an early day. Found a bunch of casings and this rare headless large cent :laughing9:.....someone probably cut out the head to wear as a lapel to protest the civil war...copperhead movement????.....or not because I read in another post that the lapel pins would be from indian head pennys. What are your thoughts? http://www.cointalk.com/t21668/

2.jpg
1.jpg
copperheadpin.jpg

Upvote 0

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with p2c, that it was a tool of sorts. The outside edge was also cut. Very cool find regardless.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin in IN said:
I have to agree with p2c, that it was a tool of sorts. The outside edge was also cut. Very cool find regardless.

I was just about to say the same thing.

DANGLANGLEY

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very cool post one of the most unusual posts I have seen on here if this not a banner I don't now what is I vote banner!!

Jonnie

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
CRUSADER said:
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Here is a link to the pin I found. I'd bet that what you have is from someone making one.
Chris
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,355144.msg2547708.html#msg2547708

Can you explain, what part of the process to get the head, means you have to shave off pieces from around the edge of the coin?
I think the person who did this had intentions of filing the whole coin down to get just the head. He realized that it would take a long time so he cut the head out to remove a bulk of the copper that was in the way.
Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Here is a link to the pin I found. I'd bet that what you have is from someone making one.
Chris

Can you explain, what part of the process to get the head, means you have to shave off pieces from around the edge of the coin?
I think the person who did this had intentions of filing the whole coin down to get just the head. He realized that it would take a long time so he cut the head out to remove a bulk of the copper that was in the way.
Chris
Really......
So after realising his/her first mistake, they went onto the next one :laughing9:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
CRUSADER said:
CRUSADER said:
Chris

Chris
Really......
So after realising his/her first mistake, they went onto the next one :laughing9:
This person obviously had political leanings that were a dead end to all concerned anyway so why would you want to give him credit for thinking things out?
Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
CRUSADER said:
Chris

Chris
Really......
This person obviously had political leanings that were a dead end to all concerned anyway so why would you want to give him credit for thinking things out?
Chris

It is possible, just not probable enough to be sure to label it so. We have to work in the relms of probability & this one is a million to 1.
Doesn't take away from it being an interesting talking point,,,,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions