Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted this afternoon in Bel Air, MD and came away with 3 buttons, an item that looks like a key, but I have not been able to identifiy it, a fired roundball, and a Virginia Feed Cattle Assn. tag # 603; back of the cattle tag identifies the animal's origin as "Lynchburg". The one button that has an identifiable backmark is from Scovill. Any help identifying the "key-like" object appreciated.

IMG_7827.JPG IMG_7831.JPG IMG_7832.JPG IMG_7833.JPG

Upvote 13

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job a good name associated with old buttons like the tag and that key looking thing is cool hope someone can ID it good job my friend Tommy

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mystery piece reminds me of the corset hooks I sometimes dig. I pulled these photos from another thread on here:

IMG_3393.JPG corset.JPG

Yours has a gap where the fabric may have gone and the rivets looks similar too. The main difference is yours doesn't have the notch, but maybe it's just an earlier version and the notch was a later improvement.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you are on to something, but I do not think this was necessarily a garment fastener. It does, however, appear that it was used as a sort of fastener. Funny, but my first impression when it came out of the ground was a key to an early padlock.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tommy. The cow tag sounded awesome, mainly because it's aluminum. I'm sure it's been at least 40 years since this place had cattle.

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool tag, congrats! :occasion14:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice assortment of goodies. I think the item in question is a hasp that went on a leather luggage or truck strap.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks creskol! You are on it, sir. Here is a link to IDME that gives an affirmation to your assessment.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.facebook.com/groups/IDME1/search/?query=saddle%20bag&epa=SEARCH_BOX&hc_location=ufi

[/FONT]

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks creskol! You are on it, sir. Here is a link to IDME that gives an affirmation to your assessment.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IDME1/search/?query=saddle%20bag&epa=SEARCH_BOX&hc_location=ufi

I can't open the link because I am not a Facebook user, but I am glad you were able to get an ID confirmation.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , you definitely earned those it’s been disgustingly hot and muggy around here lately in Maryland’s eastern shore

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about that creskol. If I would have thought about it, I wasn't able to see the link until the group moderator approved my access.
Great call. This one's solved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread