Rock tumbling?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built me a nice rock tumbler from a old x-ray scanner it'll turn about 10lbs, I have some rocks I would like to tumble and wondering what medium I could use besides the stuff that can be bought... I have some classified dirt/pebbles but not sure that would do the trick, if i have to order the bags of medium i will, Any pointers you guys can share would be great.....

Not a tumbler expert, but I believe the medium must as hard or harder than what you're tumbling, to remove material and put a shine to it.

Upvote 0
Not a tumbler expert, but I believe the medium must as hard or harder than what you're tumbling, to remove material and put a shine to it.

That does make seance... thank you..

Upvote 0
Kray is correct. If you classify your native gravels for hardness and size you can tumble softer materials with harder you'll get a tumbled result but the polish may not be very good. In some instances you can tumble like materials and achieve a tumbled result however it'll just be smooth not polished.

Upvote 0
would be so much easier to just order some silicon carbide grits, would get more consistent results as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, Im going to look into the silicone carbide grits....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back