What's new

Rocks?

Don’t smoke Rocks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5807.webp
    IMG_5807.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5806.webp
    IMG_5806.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
What colour does it glow?

The most common mineral that can be green and have a botryoidal habit would be Willemite. It glows a bright green under UV.

Botryoidal Malachite can also have the appearance of your specimen but doesn't glow under UV.
 
The second rock looks like Azurite and Malachite.

Not sure what that silverfish wants with the first rock though...

Neither Azurite nor Malachite typically glow under UV light. Azurite might glow blue if particular impurities are present.

I took the first rock to be the other side of the second rock (?) largely showing an indeterminate matrix.
 
Last edited:
I’m looking for a black light light
I’ll sell you mine. $50 plus $12 shipping. Has 6 rechargeable batteries. I hunted around here for glow rocks but didn’t find any. I don’t think we have any. Not much use for this light.
IMG_2509.webp
IMG_2510.webp
 
I sure am glad i am a member on Treasurenet. There are SO MANY VERY SMART people on here. If you need help just ask . There are so many that will help you out !!
Thank you TREASURENET MEMBERS !!!
 
Neither Azurite nor Malachite typically glow under UV light. Azurite might glow blue if particular impurities are present.

I took the first rock to be the other side of the second rock (?) largely showing an indeterminate matrix.
Unless I'm reading incorrectly, he said he thinks it glows.
Then he says he needs to find a black light.
From that- it sounds like he has not put a black light on it...yet.

@rickertmork Are these pictures of both sides of the same rock?
Have you used a black light on it?
If you have please post pics of the glowing.
 
Unless I'm reading incorrectly, he said he thinks it glows.
Then he says he needs to find a black light.
From that- it sounds like he has not put a black light on it...yet.

@rickertmork Are these pictures of both sides of the same rock?
Have you used a black light on it?
If you have please post pics of the glowing.

Yes, I noted that on the other thread. He hadn't put a UV light on it, but has now. It doesn't glow, so I think it's probably Botryoidal Malachite.
 
I nailed it !

Wiki has comment : 'Oolitic refers to small, spherical grains called ooids that are typically formed from calcium carbonate in warm, shallow waters, while boytoidal is not a recognized term in geology or mineralogy. The correct term might be "pisolitic," which describes larger, rounded grains that are often found in sedimentary rocks.'
 
I nailed it !

Wiki has comment : 'Oolitic refers to small, spherical grains called ooids that are typically formed from calcium carbonate in warm, shallow waters, while boytoidal is not a recognized term in geology or mineralogy. The correct term might be "pisolitic," which describes larger, rounded grains that are often found in sedimentary rocks.'

Also from WIki:

A botryoidal (/ˌbɒtriˈɔɪdəl/ BOT-ree-OY-dəl) texture or mineral habit, is one in which the mineral has an external form composed of many rounded segments, named for the Ancient Greek βότρυς (bótrus), meaning "a bunch of grapes".<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botryoidal#cite_note-1"><span>[</span>1<span>]</span></a> This is a common form for many minerals, particularly hematite and malachite, which are known for frequently forming botryoidal masses.
 
Also from WIki:

A botryoidal (/ˌbɒtriˈɔɪdəl/ BOT-ree-OY-dəl) texture or mineral habit, is one in which the mineral has an external form composed of many rounded segments, named for the Ancient Greek βότρυς (bótrus), meaning "a bunch of grapes".<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botryoidal#cite_note-1"><span>[</span>1<span>]</span></a> This is a common form for many minerals, particularly hematite and malachite, which are known for frequently forming botryoidal masses.

I wonder what old skool says?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom