What's new

Sand Scoop Harness for Waist High Scoop

slider66

Owner Treasure Coast Metal Detectors
🥇 Charter Member
🛒 Supporting Vendor
Joined
Nov 14, 2013
Messages
1,488
Reaction score
1,989
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast Of Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a question for anyone using a sand scoop who drags it or carry's it for hours on end. I am not as young as I use to be. I carry my waste high sand scoop on the beach in dry, wet sand and in the water. I am starting to get tendonitis in my left arm from carrying it. I hit the beach for at least 3 to 4 hours at a time. Sometimes I go all day. I am finding that my left arm is starting to take a beating from carrying the scoop for long periods of time. I have been looking on line for a shoulder harness that I can attach to my scoop that would allow me to carry it on my shoulder rather than with my left arm. I saw here on the forum that someone used a rifle harness to attach and carry their scoop. I was wondering if anyone else has modified their scoop to allow for a harness to be used? Thanks
 
Upvote 0
I'm just getting back into THing after a 10-year layoff. I didn't ever get a scoop, but tomorrow I will be ordering one!

I'm getting old and grumpy, and pain-ridden myself, so I'm planning on attaching a single-point rifle sling to my scoop. That way it will be able to swing out of the way behind my back if necessary.
 
Hi-

heres a harness i made from the strap off a laptop bag. Best thing ever. Where it joins the machine its on a swival from a dog collar. Beau Ouimette did a video on how to do it. Same idea would work for a scoop. good luck DSC00549.webp
 
I attached a wall hanger to my belt that holds my finds pouch, my scoop has an eyelet in it that I hook on the hanger that drags by my side behind me.


724627a42173dd11b7b3fdc03a0193c8.jpg
 
I attached a wall hanger to my belt that holds my finds pouch, my scoop has an eyelet in it that I hook on the hanger that drags by my side behind me.


724627a42173dd11b7b3fdc03a0193c8.jpg

I use a similar method with a tool hook from HF TH that also allows the scoop to leave a trail in the dry sand killing two birds with one stone.
 
I have the same set up for dragging my Stealth Scoop as Treasure Hunter...in fact, I learned it from TH the first time we hunted a Florida beach together! Works extremely well...
 
I always drag my scoops behind me leaving a trail so I can have an idea of where I have detected without going over the same area twice. I like the wall hanger idea. I will try and rig it up to my belt.
 
Go to Lowes in the ladder section and get a 'Tool Lasso', about $8. Attach one of the ballthingys to your scoop and the holder to your belt and drag it that way. Absolutely no strain on shoulder/arm- tho when the scoop fills with sand it'll tug on your belt. But I just look at that as extra leg exercise.
 
Go to Lowes in the ladder section and get a 'Tool Lasso', about $8. Attach one of the ballthingys to your scoop and the holder to your belt and drag it that way. Absolutely no strain on shoulder/arm- tho when the scoop fills with sand it'll tug on your belt. But I just look at that as extra leg exercise.
Problem with that is the cord will rot if you hunt in the water.

The brass wall hanger cost me about $3.00. I use a nylon belt for my finds pouch so I burnt holes in belt with soldering iron corresponding with screw holes in hook, heat from iron sealed holes in belt from tearing and I attached the hook with tie wraps. I replace the tie wraps once a year...
 
I hang my scoop on my hook by the business end and let the tip of the handle drag in the sand. This keeps the scoop from filling with sand and becoming heavy. It also gives me a nice clean line in the sand and keeps the heavy end from hitting my legs when in the water.

This is the hook that I use: 2 Piece Wrench Rings

HH
 
You might consider switching hands.
It will take some effort getting used to sweeping the search coil in either direction.
It is best to start with the side that you don't normally use; so that it will be easy
when you switch back to your favored side.
After a while it will be automatic, and you won.t even think about which hand you are sweeping with.

the benefit is that both arms get worked the same way
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom