What's new

Saxlehners Bitterquelle Bottle

jrsherman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2008
Messages
438
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Saxlehner's Bitterquelle Bottle

Well, here's my newly cleaned mineral water, which I mistakenly had termed a bitters type bottle. Although, the fellow I dug it with had thought the same thing, and he's a veteran compared to me, so we both got a little eddification!! I had told Cynangyl of the color of this bottle, and the site which has the information has a good picture of it, but here's the pictures I got on mine. It's a pretty interesting story too, so here's the link:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/soda.htm

Just choose the "Hunyadi-Janos Bitterquelle" jump, or scroll down towards the bottom. Interestingly enough, they state that these are/were being found in California and were shipped there in the 1880's, and we found this one in a 1880's era dump here in Norfolk, VA, so maybe they had a much wider circulation than thought!

At any rate, here's the picture's for y'all, enjoy!!

IMG_1392.webp

Saxlehner's Bitterquelle Rim, Hunyadi-Janos Center

IMG_1400.webp

Didn't plan on it, but the white if my wall reflected really neat around the neck.

IMG_1401.webp

White piece of paper to try and show color a little better.

IMG_1402.webp

You can almost see it, but the inside of the bottle looks "dimpled" when looking into a light source.

Hope you all enjoyed these, happy digging, and Happy Thanksgiving!!
 
Re: Saxlehner's Bitterquelle Bottle

Sweet!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Saxlehner's Bitterquelle Bottle

Hi, very nice bottle!! I find them up here in Northern Ohio too. I dug a dump just before the snow started that must of had about 20 of em all broken. Here is a picture of one of mine to try and help show the color of these bottles. I thought that these were bitters bottles too.

Happy Huntin' , Twig.
 

Attachments

  • small.webp
    small.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,586
Re: Saxlehner's Bitterquelle Bottle

So thats how they look like. Found the bottom of one about 2 months ago on a plowed field here in sweden.
Nice bottle/ ohannos
 
Re: Saxlehner's Bitterquelle Bottle

Beautiful bottles gents!!

Twigs bottle shows the effect of being blown in a cold mold, thus the whittling effect.

HH,

root
 
Re: Saxlehner's Bitterquelle Bottle

i found one last year, its still half full and has cork, i posted somehwere here in this bottle furum awhile back
 
Re: Saxlehner's Bitterquelle Bottle

Thats a cool looking bottle............ nice color :thumbsup:
 
I found mine at the beach in Hampton Bays NY, in Tiana Bay 8/2011.
Beautyful bottle! Life is Good! :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
We find allot of these is Hawaii as well.

I have several that were pulled from a dump that is well dated as ranging from 1892 - 1898.

Last week I was digging in some transition era (1915ish) stuff in my backyard and pulled what looked like the same bottle.

When I got home and cleaned it up I was shocked to find out that it was ABM!!! :icon_scratch:

Although I can't tell for sure from the pictures you posted, it sure looks like you got the 1915 ABM version there. It's easy enough to check - just look at the seam.

The 1890's version is tooled and I'm guessing that if there is an 1880's version it may be applied - but this is just speculation as I've never pulled one of these from an 1880's dump.

If I'm wrong about your bottle being ABM, I apologize - I do hate when someone calls one of my hand blown bottles machine made! Just wanted to share my recent experience with this bottles in hopes to continue the discussion :tongue3:

BTW - the ABM version looks EXACTLY like the tooled version. Same size, color and base marking. It even has whittle marks!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom