Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I understand your post. Your asking how we hunt using a scoop in the water, is it attached to us or do we just let it float?
I use brass swivel eye snaps for both the scoop and sifter, both with nylon dock line, I think it's 3/8. My sifter line is about 10 foot and the scoops is 4 feet, both are hooked to my finds pouch belt which goes around my waist over my shoulder. Also I have a watch, whistle and rescue beacon on the belt.

20220907_105814_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks OBN,
Great video. I'll try your method. I couldn't see where you attached the line to the scoop. That's a good looking finds bag. Those zippers look rugged unlike the cheapo skinny zippers on my Whites finds bag that broke shortly after buying it. It takes a lot of patience to scoop your target when you can't see the bottom for me it's totally guess work. I use my mask and snorkel whenever possible for that reason as the water isn't that cloudy most of the time. It was suggested to me long ago to attach a sock filled with sand to the bottom of the rod on my Whites PI Dual Field to keep the coil from floating off the bottom. I'll give it a try because unfortunately for me the Nox 800 is out of warranty so no more drowning experiences for the Nox

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
On the scoop I have the rope tied to the scoop shaft, 2 inch shrink tape to keep it in place. i have a couple spots where I can pull on when the scoop is deepin a hole. Sand paper is a great gripper when wearing gloves. Water here come May gets very low vis, all caused by the boat traffic sturring up the muck and silt. Winter the water is almost crystal clear.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

2Peas

May 26, 2014
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I understand your post. Your asking how we hunt using a scoop in the water, is it attached to us or do we just let it float?
I use brass swivel eye snaps for both the scoop and sifter, both with nylon dock line, I think it's 3/8. My sifter line is about 10 foot and the scoops is 4 feet, both are hooked to my finds pouch belt which goes around my waist over my shoulder. Also I have a watch, whistle and rescue beacon on the belt.

View attachment 2079067

Good to see your going out prepared. 👍

Reactions: OBN

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the noodle on the handle as it gives padding when I carry it on my shoulder, scoop weighs 5 pounds with handle.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the noodle on the handle as it gives padding when I carry it on my shoulder, scoop weighs 5 pounds with handle.
Never weighed any of my scoops over the years... but i would say the one i use most weighs at least 5-7.
Never shouldered mine either... so.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calm water is one thing, surf is another. In surf, I use a scoop with a D-handle and no tether. If you let go of a tethered scoop in the surf, waves can beat that scoop up against you and/or get you tangled in it. In surf, I don't want anything tethered to me for that reason.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Was watching a (friend) hunter in OC Md several years ago from shore. He had a pool noodle on the handle of the scoop. He let go for a second..and it was gone. After about 30...... long seconds he did get lucky and recover it.

CudaMark, you are right about rolling in the surf with a scoop attached. Did not catch that one on video...I got knocked down once in the surf and I got tangled up.. my leg looked like it had got bit by a shark! The scoop can be deadly in the wrong conditions.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the floating handle I'm not tethered to a scoop, but I am harnessed to detector, it has a simple quick disconnect.

Reactions: OBN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread