What's new

Seeking ID and age of brass bracket(?) found near the home of a War of 1812 officer

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
3,897
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
All, I found this brass bracket(?) near the former home of a War of 1812 officer. Any help w/ ID and/or age would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Brass3.webp
    Brass3.webp
    169.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Brass2.webp
    Brass2.webp
    151.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Brass1.webp
    Brass1.webp
    110.5 KB · Views: 65
Looks like a deadbolt style door lock plate, to me.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a deadbolt style door lock plate, to me.

MKW, thanks for the ID; I'll look into that. Also from 1 vet to another, thank you for your service.
 
Upvote 0
I have used almost identical bronze brackets to hold strips of wood in a bowed-shape over a boat cockpit so when covered with canvas it makes a rain and snow cover.

Here is a modern stainless version.

9-0578dp0chr.webp

Perhaps wagons or buggy's had similar?
 
Upvote 0
I was thinking something from a window also.
 
Upvote 0
I have used almost identical bronze brackets to hold strips of wood in a bowed-shape over a boat cockpit so when covered with canvas it makes a rain and snow cover.

Here is a modern stainless version.

View attachment 1878611

Perhaps wagons or buggy's had similar?

Thanks Charlie P., I definitely see a resemblance and will check it out.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe an escutcheon from a window rope pulley!?!?!

wainzoid & Back-of-the-boat, thanks for chiming in. I'll look into window hardware.
 
Upvote 0
It looks a lot like the sill mounted shutter arm blocks I have seen during my widow replacements. Some have holes and others just had slots.
 
Upvote 0
It looks a lot like the sill mounted shutter arm blocks I have seen during my widow replacements. Some have holes and others just had slots.

Mud Hut, I haven't found a picture of what you're referring to. Can you post one?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom