Separating old wet bills.

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
The proper place to send the money is the BEP - Bureau of Engraving and Printing. They make all paper money. The mint makes coins. BEP is a fun tour it is located in Washington DC. The web tell you the process you take for damaged money.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/8/39

If the bills are of small size (like current bills) then chances are they are not worth more than face value.
Small bills in wet damaged condition are not very collectable. (I mean by small size, the 1899 series is a large size bill that went to current size in 1928 series)

from web site
The following procedures should be applied when packing mutilated currency:

Regardless of the condition of the currency, Do Not Disturb the fragments any more than is absolutely necessary.
If the currency is brittle or inclined to fall apart, pack it carefully in plastic and cotton without disturbing the fragments and place the package in a secure container.
If the currency was mutilated in a purse, box, or other container, it should be left in the container to protect the fragments from further damage.
If it is absolutely necessary to remove the fragments from the container, send the container along with the currency and any other contents that may have currency fragments attached.
If the currency was flat when mutilated, do not roll or fold the notes.
If the currency was in a roll when mutilated, do not attempt to unroll or straighten it out.
If coin or any other metal is mixed with the currency, carefully remove it. Any fused, melted, or otherwise mutilated coins should be sent to the following address for evaluation:
Superintendent
U. S. Mint
Post Office Box 400
Philadelphia, PA. 19105

For cases that are expected to take longer than 4 weeks to process, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will issue a written confirmation of receipt.

MAILING ADDRESS
Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Office of Currency Standards
P. O. Box 37048
Washington, D. C. 20013

All mutilated currency should be sent by "Registered Mail, Return Receipt Requested." Insuring the shipment is the responsibility of the sender.

Personal deliveries of mutilated currency to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing are accepted between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M., Monday through Friday, except holidays. The Office of Currency Standards is located at 14th and C Streets, S. W., Washington, D. C.

Tom

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
double barrel said:
the mint only gives 50% back i think.

Wrong!! I worked for a bank. You contact the mint or take them to your local bank and they will contact them for you. The money is sent and you receive a check in 6-8 weeks....for the FULL amount! Even if the money is burnt beyond recognition!

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
I hope I am not coming across negative, I just think on a site like this the most accurate information
should be posted.

People keep referring to that the mint will take old bills, the mint has nothing to do with paper money they make coins.

All paper money is made at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington DC.

Either a individual person or a bank can send their money to them and they will return to you the exact amount of all the bills that can be identified.

Wildfirefighter72

Jan 14, 2007
Colorado
Old Tom said:
I hope I am not coming across negative, I just think on a site like this the most accurate information
should be posted.

People keep referring to that the mint will take old bills, the mint has nothing to do with paper money they make coins.

All paper money is made at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington DC.

Either a individual person or a bank can send their money to them and they will return to you the exact amount of all the bills that can be identified.

Here is the website... http://www.moneyfactory.gov/

M

Mattuo

You need to freeze dry them. It is the most effective and safest way without damaging them. Hopefully this is not against the rules but here is a link to a site that will do this for you,

http://www.kastaway.com/Document_Restoration.cfm

"Water Damage

Freeze-drying water damaged documents is cost effective especially when considering manpower to track down and duplicate documents, and in many cases, the originals are all you have to work with. In many cases, freeze-drying is the only way to salvage water soaked articles.

Floods, storms, severe cold and fires can all cause water damage in you home, storage or place of business. We can dry any paper product, whether it is a book, file, document or photo. Even X-Rays, computer discs or microfilm! If it is wet, it can be dried

What do I do with water damaged documents?

Most Important ...
Get all materials to a freezer immediately. This stops further deterioration, especially from inks running and mildew. Do not move wet material any more than necessary. Leave material in the original containers if possible, file drawers, file boxes, etc. Place plastic or wax paper between books to prevent them from sticking together in the freezer. "

OBXhistorybuff

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2006
I remember several years ago (about 15) I worked in a bank and at least once a year a customer would come in and bring a jar or two of old coins and on at least two occasions someone would bring in bills that had been buried and were stuck together and moldy. We would package them send them to our local Federal Reserve depository who in turn would send them to the Bureau of Engraving. I don't recall anyone ever being charged taxes on the money, but that may have changed. I would guess if a large amount of money is involved the IRS would be notfied, just as if you were to deposit a large amount of cash.

T

TreasureTales

Old Tom said:
should be posted.

In response to your post, I have corrected my post. But if we could/should only post 100% accurate info, most of us would not be able to post at all. LOL Not that we're trying to post false or inaccurate info, but we don't have the time to check each and every detail before posting. Old Tom, you're not trying to tell us that you are never inaccurate, are you?!?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread