Seven Sutherland Sisters Hair Grower! Base Embossed Variant?

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I think most bottle diggers and collectors have heard of the Seven Sutherland Sisters. They were a circus sideshow/sex symbol of the late 19th/early 20th centuries, and collectively had something like 36 feet of hair. Their story was one filled with many ups and downs.

I've seen a number of these bottles on the internet before, eBay and elsewhere, but never have I seen one with base embossing. I dug this bottle on December 1st, 2014. I believe this one dates to about 1890, but maybe even a little earlier.

Anyway, the bottom is embossed, "J.H. BAILEY", and under that, "FOREIGN" - J. Henry Bailey was the husband of the fifth sister, Naomi Sutherland, and he had intimate and familial ties to Barnum and Bailey and their circus business ventures. "Bailey founded the Sutherland Sisters Corporation and applied for the company’s first trademark in 1883, for the Seven Sutherland Sisters Hair Grower." I think that "FOREIGN" might be there as a kind of stamp for imported goods.

To me the name Bailey immediately brings the circus to mind, so I just thought this was very interesting, having never seen one with anything on the bottom before. Have any of you seen one like this before? Thanks.

DSCF5696.JPG DSCF5700.JPG

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked mine and there's nothing but a small #1 on mine

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've never seen one with Bailey's name on there, my guess is that it might be an earlier piece, not too long after he gained the trademark.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, that is one I don't have :icon_thumleft:

Andy312

Nov 2, 2021
Hey everyone,

I think most bottle diggers and collectors have heard of the Seven Sutherland Sisters. They were a circus sideshow/sex symbol of the late 19th/early 20th centuries, and collectively had something like 36 feet of hair. Their story was one filled with many ups and downs.

I've seen a number of these bottles on the internet before, eBay and elsewhere, but never have I seen one with base embossing. I dug this bottle on December 1st, 2014. I believe this one dates to about 1890, but maybe even a little earlier.

Anyway, the bottom is embossed, "J.H. BAILEY", and under that, "FOREIGN" - J. Henry Bailey was the husband of the fifth sister, Naomi Sutherland, and he had intimate and familial ties to Barnum and Bailey and their circus business ventures. "Bailey founded the Sutherland Sisters Corporation and applied for the company’s first trademark in 1883, for the Seven Sutherland Sisters Hair Grower." I think that "FOREIGN" might be there as a kind of stamp for imported goods.

To me the name Bailey immediately brings the circus to mind, so I just thought this was very interesting, having never seen one with anything on the bottom before. Have any of you seen one like this before? Thanks.

Hey everyone,

View attachment 1261918 View attachment 1261919
Very cool bottle. I am an avid Sutherland sisters collector. Is it by chance for sale?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread