What's new

Sheet Metal ??? ask away.

Mine Shaft

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2017
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
1,971
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just throwing this out there lol I'm a Sheet Metal Mechanic and have been for almost 50 years. If you have a question in regards to anything related to Aluminium/Stainless Steel/copper/Hot Rolled, Cold Rolled Steel, and all other types of Sheet Metal, Bending, Shearing, Hole size, Drill size, Tap size, Reading Blueprints, Measuring, Using a veneer, Calipers, Height Gauge and on and on and on. Have a good day regards Craig.
 
Good to know 👍🏼.
I worked in the office furniture industry for 42 years. We started with coiled steel: 12 to 24 gauge. Shearing, stamping, punch-pressing, welding, etc.
Outside of that realm, there is a lot that I haven’t experienced. We were doing laser cutting the last 20 some years: neat stuff.
 
Thats a long time lol The laser cutting is a cool way to to make a lot of parts. I just wished my Father would of invested in a nice turret strippet punch it would of been a big up swing in our production of Aero space and casino parts.
 
Yes. We had about 40 turret presses amongst several locations. Mostly Amadas with auto-indexing. Some were auto load/ auto unload. Could run without an operator.
 
In the 60s through early 80s it was all done with individual punch presses. Thousands of parts per day.
 
Just throwing this out there lol I'm a Sheet Metal Mechanic and have been for almost 50 years. If you have a question in regards to anything related to Aluminium/Stainless Steel/copper/Hot Rolled, Cold Rolled Steel, and all other types of Sheet Metal, Bending, Shearing, Hole size, Drill size, Tap size, Reading Blueprints, Measuring, Using a veneer, Calipers, Height Gauge and on and on and on. Have a good day regards Craig.
I have a bunch of ST/S dimpled sheets left over from my scrap metal yard days. I wanted to get them cut/formed into stainless cookie/baking pans because to buy one is crazy expensive.

Question: How can I tell if the stainless has been oiled or not?
It was a statement of beware from one fabricating company I have dealt with over the years getting railings and lintels.
 
I have a bunch of ST/S dimpled sheets left over from my scrap metal yard days. I wanted to get them cut/formed into stainless cookie/baking pans because to buy one is crazy expensive.

Question: How can I tell if the stainless has been oiled or not?
It was a statement of beware from one fabricating company I have dealt with over the years getting railings and lintels.
Hi pepper j. I have never heard of Oiled SS but check your Stainless steel to see if it's Magnetic if not then its a Cres = Corrosion Resistant Steel. Most of all restaurants use a higher grade SS even some silverware, forks and spoons say Stainless Steel, but put a magnetic to them and I bet it will stick lol.
 
Hi pepper j. I have never heard of Oiled SS but check your Stainless steel to see if it's Magnetic if not then its a Cres = Corrosion Resistant Steel. Most of all restaurants use a higher grade SS even some silverware, forks and spoons say Stainless Steel, but put a magnetic to them and I bet it will stick lol.
All the sheets are 304 Stainless I know that for a fact as they were tested with a XRF. 4'x8', and 5'x10' even the checkerplate is 304.
I bought skid lots of aluminum and stainless sheet.
Never had any 400 series stainless from this customer.
 
Yes that's good SS 304 but as far as oiled goes not sure what they are talking about lol all my 304/321 SS was clean if they are talking about a thin coat of oil that will clean right off.
 
Yes that's good SS 304 but as far as oiled goes not sure what they are talking about lol all my 304/321 SS was clean if they are talking about a thin coat of oil that will clean right off.
That's what I thought also if cleaned and washed it would be like any other SS304. I certainly would think it would be better than the SS 400 series most things are made of.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom