Shipping Crate Panel From Pioneer 1880s Mercantile - Silver City, Montana

Montana Zink

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2021
Marysville, Montana ghost town
Detector(s) used
Nose. Eyes. Poorly-shod feet at times. Unique area of EXTREME concentrated population 1880s-1890s in small area. So much metal eroded in area any dip of magnet in soil forms balls and detectors useles
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Of the many relics stumbled upon over the years, this is the most striking for its disturbing discovery. Recent past 1880s cabin rental in ghost town of Marysville, Montana included several outbuildings such as a large, long old utility shed. Front half used as garage today; rest of it served duty as a large firewood splitting area; tons of accumulated junk; old livestock pens and waist-high piles of broken lumber, furniture and the like. Had already snooped it out and shrugged off as kindling. NOT the forum or intent here but context as critical as if discussing a great gold coin find without mentioning it really wasn't dug up but thrown out of a passing UFO. Truth upheld over any risk of doubt. At time of find, I was walking over to an elderly neighbor's home so that she could give a cache of hidden family documents uncovered in the cabin, the pioneer family's homestead since their documented arrival in mid-1880s, to her old friend, another elderly lady and sole surviving member of this family in question... the Julian clan, here since the arrival of Lewis and Anna from Swedan in the early 1880s. Somehow they made it to the then-railroad hub of Silver City and established a mercantile before moving up to the booming Marysville of mid-1880s. Marysville lies 6 miles up Silver Creek Canyon from the prairie setting of SC, of which not a scrap of lumber survives. The documents to be returned were part of a stunning mix of letters, maps, Mason documents and other puzzles that were hidden behind an ancient mirror, jammed up on old shelf w/top shoved against original cabin timbers in dark, log-wall portion. Found due to some shocking events most reasonable people would define as paranormal. Again, context only here. Day after these events, out-of-town landlord called on another topic and able to ask specifics. I had shrugged off rep as haunted; quiet for 3 months (tho could sleep thru quake). Reported multiple exact events to others in past; renters left; enough repeats to eventually have a Native American sage ceremony to "calm" things. (2 yrs prior). Other reports, and witnessed himself, concerned this old mirror and the sighting of glowing lights moving about inside w/o outside source. Chiseled off mirror as too chicken to go in area at night to see any lights and wanted to move to kitchen. Never saw any, by the way, but removal revealed the cache.
Gee; TMI paragraph break. Go figure. Not simple. SO... it was these documents that ID'd family. More shock in discovering a nice neighbor I casually knew, a lifelong resident, was friends with the family and still visited "Mrs. X," the sole surviving, elderly (and also nice) Julian. Mrs. X lives elsewhere as rest of that family years ago. Allowed me to keep a map, some old ads and other general items in this weird cache of personal letters to 1930s market receipts for pot roast. But family treasures when signed by grandfathers. Was eager to get these returned; all fit into a large Ziploc and logistically easier to take to neighbor so she could return to Mrs. X on next visit. State of affairs as this tome began. Detoured into garage for sunglasses out of car and while walking out I stooped down WITHOUT BREAKING STRIDE to snatch this relic out of the waist-high pile of scattered trash wood I passed daily for past 3 months. Pause outside, glance at this piece. Utterly confused why I picked it up; no conscious decision; 100% automatic. Shrugged, went to toss back then saw what was on the back and froze. Then added to package while looking over shoulder. This turned out to be the most treasured item returned to this lady; reportedly "over the moon" w/tears to recieve this single surviving piece of their family's first mercantile. Final full-disclosure notes: love this venue I finally joined. NOT promoting the knee-jerk book the pioneer legacy allowed, esp with discovering those events were casual shrugs to the rest of the iceberg of that topic. Key to this case/find was that the cache; and possible reason for it as "camoflage," was a cryptic, likely bloodstained (ex-EMT but not tested), 3-word, heavy-scribbled penciled message or statement on an envelope flap. This is theorized to be the suicide note of Mrs. X's brother, ID'd by her, calm after many years' passage and no problem with public sharing as was done in the book. Because of family permission, valid relic, no real drama or sensationalism (message is more confusing than anything) and lack of finding any good photos of many other relics found, have posted separately but unsure if too touchy just on definition. Please see if it's okay via my other posts I guess; new to this and want to respect rules AND not hint at wearisome marketing. Just too complex and amazing. Future will be TWO sentences I hope! Points were the many valid historical connections and discovery context w/o getting into more than the basic facts. General theory if applicable at all is that the "unrest" was due to this note, Mrs. X believes as she remembers the events quite well, never saw the note and suspects was hidden in a frantic rush by the person(s) discovering the body in the upset of the time; perhaps to protect the girlfriend or others; wasn't exactly a calm time. Lights drawing specific attention; personally-witnessed audio and tremendous displays of mechanical power in repeated, wall-shaking hammers of cabin beams as general ... um, expressions. This super-cool, most vintage family relic likely addendum to it all but hey, got the monkey to finally find our stuff, may as well hijack his brain to snatch out this other piece as he passes; know you'd appreciate it, sis! If appropriate to do so in / if any replies request, can provide more info on this particular episode w/o any marketing. Available on another free, safe, well-respected site before formal publication if curious. Whoa. YT ref vid links okay in trackback? hope that's what it's for! Good gods, enough already.

Attachments

• L Julian in store.jpg
    L Julian in store.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Julians in SS store.jpg
    Julians in SS store.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Julian Crate 2.JPG
    Julian Crate 2.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 53

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread