deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some more door knocking today. Finally got a hold of the owner to an old farm house we've been looking at for some time now and got the ok to detect it. Decided to swing a little at this place for a quick hunt.
Got a sweet Crotal bell in the first 5 minutes then nothing for the next half hour?? We figured this place looked too good to be true, we think it's been hit already and hit hard.
I'll take a Crotal bell any day...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 6

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Must have rung up with a strong signal. Never dug one, but I can imagine all that brass gave a whopping sound.

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it rang up 83 on the AT Pro?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
How did it ring up?

Get it... ring... it's a bell... come on people.

Very nice DS. I have yet to find a crotal bell, and am quite envious of that one. Good show!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did it ring up?

Get it... ring... it's a bell... come on people.

Very nice DS. I have yet to find a crotal bell, and am quite envious of that one. Good show!

Lol!! Took me a minute before I realized it was a joke. I read where you asked,how did it ring up and thought I already said 83 on the ATPro? Lol

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!!

This is my third Crotal bell and everyone was a total surprise, all 3 came from yards too. I like the Crotal bells as much as I like the older dog tags.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find im new to detecting i still haven't ventured out of the parks yet. (I got the joke lol)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never where you think it is, it's where you find it. ;)

But, about being hit hard. How hard could it have been hit, if they didn't get that bell? ;)

Nice!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never where you think it is, it's where you find it. ;)

But, about being hit hard. How hard could it have been hit, if they didn't get that bell? ;)

Nice!

That's what doesn't make sense. The bell might have been laying around in the house and some kid that lived there recently took it outside and lost it. Then again the bell was deep, about 8".
Another possibility is that fill dirt was brought in the everything is super deep. I got very little hits at all, junk or other wise. Only other finds were a few square nails,bottle tops and a few modern day clad.
We will check it out again and go really slow.
The kid and I both noticed that when we hit yards in the country we don't find as much as we do in the yards in the small towns? This place though was super slow for hits?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what doesn't make sense. The bell might have been laying around in the house and some kid that lived there recently took it outside and lost it. Then again the bell was deep, about 8".
Another possibility is that fill dirt was brought in the everything is super deep. I got very little hits at all, junk or other wise. Only other finds were a few square nails,bottle tops and a few modern day clad.
We will check it out again and go really slow.
The kid and I both noticed that when we hit yards in the country we don't find as much as we do in the yards in the small towns? This place though was super slow for hits?

I can pretty much guess what happened. If someone hit it before, like via a permission, (or not), they do what all "pirates" do. They crank up their machines and the only signals they dig are silver and gold. Or as near as they can get to doing. They skim as fast and furious as possible, skipping anything really deep or iffy. They ONLY want the "good" stuff.

Whenever I hunt a place that I know has been hit before, I always check to see what sort of nickel and below hits I get right away. If there are a lot, there are also finds to dig.

I understand if it's someone who is just interested in the intrinsic value/cash-able amount that can be had, (even pirates gotta eat). But, if it's someone who professes to be searching to uncover history, they lie. If you find a place carved up, with holes still open, trash laying around, you'll also find a pirate near by.
GOLD & SILVER!!!! ARRRRRHHHH!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice little tip, I'll remember that one. I'm leaning towards soil being brought in or someone already detected and dug everything. I got very few hits low or high tones. We always find deep iron at these places and not much of that either?
One day soon the boy and I will take it slow and see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions