Should I buy a slightly used Sovereign or a 440 Vanquish?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I’m bidding on a Sovereign XS2a Pro right now and I was just currently out bid at $270.00. Still 5 more days left on the auction but I’m just wanting some feed back. If you guys had the chance what would you buy. I’ve always wanted a Sovereign of any kind but also very interested in the Vanquish. Terry maybe you could help me decide. I know the Sovereigns are long time kings of the beach. I’ve never owned a Minelab and I can’t buy both. What would you guys do if you had to choose either one. I know the Vanquish will be on the market for a longtime and the Sovereign I may not find one for awhile. Do I forget about the slower deeper Sovereign and go with the Vanquish.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the Sovereign Xs back in 1998-'99 when it was first introduced, and it was an incredible machine at that time. There is a reason why it was discontinued however - newer, better technology. The Equinox, and the Vanquish 540 are better machines - period. Are you old enough to remember Texas Instruments TI-59 calculator? it was the bomb in 1977, and cost about $350.00 at that time. Now, you can get a calculator that would blow it away for $20.00.

Go with the NEW tech my friend. It is better, lighter, and if it breaks, it can be repaired under warranty. Best of luck no matter which you choose!:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks Terry! You’re right, I totally agree with that. Just needed to get your opinion. I was only 5yrs old in 1977 lol. Sounds like it was the detector of all detectors back then.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Simplex is very good and is reasonably priced

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the 540 if you can. It’s worth it! My 440 is now collecting dust!

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? Is that much of a difference? I know the 440 comes with the smaller coil.

It has Bluetooth, and once you go wireless it’s tough to go back! You can adjust the iron audio, change the iron FE to high and low, had way more discrimination segments. I just ordered the v8 coil for it. It’s great. The 440 is cool. But the 540 is well worth the extra $

troll

Jun 10, 2020
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a 540 and am more than satisfied with this machine. It can detect a target deeper than I can dig. (Knee problems) Going wireless like was already said is the best. Easy to learn and use you really can't go wrong. Is it perfect? No! But what machine is?

wltdwiz

Jul 6, 2008
Arizona
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Vanquish
Minelab SDC 2300
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
AQUA TRACKER
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
nokta /makro pulse dive
blue nemo