Should there be a coin?

MisterHelix

Feb 23, 2024
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex Ultra
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found hundreds of relics on this central Virginia farm property, from horseshoes to shotgun stamps to plowshares to axe heads, buckles and pocketknives and musical instruments from the 1900’s.

I have not found a single coin that dates before 1950, and that was in the driveway of the house build in the late 2000’s.

So.

Where are the coins?
Should there not be an Indian head penny amongst the hundreds of shotgun stamps?

I have spent at least a hundred hours up and down the mountain. I have almost a million square feet to cover, and some of it is impenetrable briar patch. I have found lots of stuff with the Nokta Simplex Ultra, even a silver cufflink from the 1900’s.

But no coins (not counting the approx 100 clad and zincoln coins from the modern houses yard and driveway.)

My wife says everyone was so poor there’s no coins to be found on our slice of the farm.

What do you think?

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
I have found hundreds of relics on this central Virginia farm property, from horseshoes to shotgun stamps to plowshares to axe heads, buckles and pocketknives and musical instruments from the 1900’s.

I have not found a single coin that dates before 1950, and that was in the driveway of the house build in the late 2000’s.

So.

Where are the coins?
Should there not be an Indian head penny amongst the hundreds of shotgun stamps?

I have spent at least a hundred hours up and down the mountain. I have almost a million square feet to cover, and some of it is impenetrable briar patch. I have found lots of stuff with the Nokta Simplex Ultra, even a silver cufflink from the 1900’s.

But no coins (not counting the approx 100 clad and zincoln coins from the modern houses yard and driveway.)

My wife says everyone was so poor there’s no coins to be found on our slice of the farm.

What do you think?
I think some coins must be there, waiting for see again the sun.

Just a an advice, 🙊 do the swing half slow of your normal way.

good luck 😎👍🏽

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

So.

Where are the coins?

What do you think?
Have to do a little research on who did the homesteading there.
Certain homesteads just didn't loose money it seemed.
I hunted 5 or 6 homesteads years ago.
Great relics, not a single coin.
I did some research and discovered the Quakers were the first settlers at those sites.
Great relics-no change.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are places like that. If there was nowhere to spend money close by, then there was no reason to carry money on your person for it to be lost. Maybe no children, probably the biggest source of lost coins. Subsistence farmers really didn't have cash, they grew what they needed or bartered for it. Or maybe just a family that was very careful and frugal.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above plus it is very difficult at best to cover every square inch of a large area, as we all know. You can go to the same area a dozen times, and always find something you missed the first eleven times before.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All of the above plus it is very difficult at best to cover every square inch of a large area, as we all know. You can go to the same area a dozen times, and always find something you missed the first eleven times before.
Northern areas has more frost movement also than non frost climates. Items are always moving in the dirt, what was masked might become unmasked in a few years. Need to bring back deeper soil working. 4 inches isn't enough to change a site too much.

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I've noticed the same. Last week while showing my dad some stuff from a mill I'm hunting I brought up that I haven't found any coins. He replied with "they were probably broke". But I realized that the quality of the items I found is top quality for that time frame so they obviously weren't too broke. The Ihp's have always been tricky for me. Try around the mailbox area or where they burned trash.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have sites like this too, found a few tax tokens but no coins whatsover. Some places it took me 5 or so trips to find one coin though.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe cherry picked, maybe not much there to find. Could be you'd have better luck with a lower frequency like a fisher f2/f4-5.6 I believe. Said to be better for coin shooting.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here. I’m hunting an old farm site. The owner is 80 and has lived there his whole life and says it’s never been detected. I’m finding everything but coins. The barter system was alive and well here in the 1880s.

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the coins are all in a mason jar under a post.
Detect the old fence lines. Detect the paths between the outbuildings.
Find the swimming hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions