What's new

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Brian W

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
685
Reaction score
437
Golden Thread
0
I cant believe I found this Early Virginia button up here in Ma...Had plans to hunt a 1650 farm site but that fell through...So fog called and said he went to this site when I was on vacation ..He pulled an 1840 large cent and a scabbard tip...So I say lets go there...Started off the hunt with 4 crotals in a 2 foot radius...Then a couple of wheats and then this Beautiful Button...I was smiling all day after that...It has a lot of guilt under the crud but I'm not going to clean it yet...I think its kinda rare and don't want to ruin it...I thought it was a mass militia until I got home...Glad I was wrong...This button made my year....Its in Alberts book and dates 1810-1826...Its an early coat of arms Virginia. I don't dig too many military items here in mass...They just don't turn up too often...Especially Virginia buttons... But I will take it!!! UPDATE....I decided to clean it I could see the chipping in parts...But the silver plate was 95% there.....but my camera stinks at capturing the true color ..It's silver now...Here is the new picture.
 

Attachments

  • Virginia Button Obverse.webp
    Virginia Button Obverse.webp
    88.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Virginia Button reverse.webp
    Virginia Button reverse.webp
    46.9 KB · Views: 161
  • cleaned Virginia 1812.webp
    cleaned Virginia 1812.webp
    123.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Upvote 36
Thats a fantastic button.
Dont see to many 1812 Virginia buttons dug..
Congrats,
George
 
Beautiful button. Never seen one like it.
 
Sweet button Brian!!!:occasion14:
 
Very nice find Bri, just use an sos pad, or a belt sander on that one, she'll polish right up. I was supposed to find that while you were on vacation! WTG, that is a beauty. I'll post my ball point pen spring later, it's soaking in olive oil right now.
 
Last edited:
Lol Fog...thanks for the info on this button...I couldn't find any info online...didn't know there were die variants ....I'm pretty sure your spring is from a pez dispenser...lol
 
Wow that's a beauty bud. What's the rarity rating on that baby?
 
Digging one like that certainly would put a smile on mine! That's a really a great looking button, congrats.
 
"You'll TAKE it?!" Dang man! I live in Virginia. Never even SEEN one of those. hey I have an idea, I have a couple of Mass buttons I've found here in Virginia . . . let's TRADE!!
 
Sweet button, I got a button out in the midwest that dates to same time frame
 
Thanks for the comments everyone.

If anyone has any info on this button feel free to chime in

Ahab.....I don't know the rarity rating on this button...But I have been a member for 8 years and never seen one posted :thumbsup:

parsonwalker.....I already have a mass 1812 and civil war...Guess I will just keep this one....lol
 
Congrats on a beautiful button. I bet you really made the Virginia boys jealous with that one!
 
I think that belonged to one of my long lost relatives if you want to return it!!!!:D:D:D That's an awesome find! I'm still drooling. Congrats!!!
 
Dame nice button.
 
whoa nice ! ;)
 
Last edited:
Wow that's a long way from home! Looks like some fun research could come from that button regarding history.

Steve
 
Brian - that's an outstanding find as your button was basically the first of the early Virginia ones. As you can tell by the pic below from Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons", yours is button VA1B in my opinion. And it carries a RV (relative value) of 50 which makes it quite scarce or maybe even a little on the rare side. You could verify for sure if yours was a VA1A or VA1B if the backmark was readable based on the info supplied in the image below (Philad vs Phil backmark). The button maker, George Armitage of Philadelphia, made these from around 1810-26 which is why they're commonly referred to as "War of 1812" buttons. I've dug 2 or 3 of them over the years down here in VA, but finding one up your way is definitely a rare feat. Congrats on an awesome and very-difficult-to-make find.

Va buttons - Alberts book.webp
 
Thanks for that info Bill... I'm with you on the id...May have to do some gentle cleaning on the back to check out what Armitage Mark is there.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom