Silver Coin Buckle

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Hi everybody,
havent posted here in a while but I am still out there digging oldies. I found a park about an hour and a half away from me in the hood that hasn't been detected much. It's been putting out good amounts of silver and wheats. Mostly common 40s and 50s stuff. Got a Franklin half, multiple silver washingtons and common dimes.
I hunted there Friday with a couple buddies and had a great day. I dug a '17 merc, two rosies and five wheats. But it was the last target of the day that would prove to be the most interesting item I've dug in my 13 years of detecting. I had a quarter signal on the SE at 6-7". I dug the plug and out pops a silver buckle. I knew it was silver. It was super clean. But then I started noticing designs and writing. And a rounded coin edge? Also noticed the "J", which at that point figured was a mint mark. I google the two words I could read on the buckle, "DREI MARK". Turns out the buckle was made from a 1911 German Drei Mark. I never knew coins were cut and made into buckles! So happy I found this! It certainly made my day.
Here are the pics, fresh out of the dirt.

HH,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2197.PNG
    IMG_2197.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    825.1 KB · Views: 164