What's new

SILVER ROSERY CROSS

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY ONLY MACHINES
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
4,939
Reaction score
4,609
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I know what it is...
What I want to know is about how old it is and about how much it's worth...
If any of you armchair archeolagist out there can help me...
 

Attachments

  • silver rosery cross2 (small).webp
    silver rosery cross2 (small).webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 345
  • silver rosery cross1 (small).webp
    silver rosery cross1 (small).webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 282
I don't think it's a rosary. Possibly a chapelet... kind of a abbreviated rosary. It also has a cross, not a crucifix, so maybe not Catholic at all.

The triangular medal above the cross comes in in the 19th century. The style on yours is Medieval/Celtic probably dating to the Arts and Crafts era, 1900-1920's, but could be newer.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
I don't think it's a rosary. Possibly a chapelet... kind of a abbreviated rosary. It also has a cross, not a crucifix, so maybe not Catholic at all.

The triangular medal above the cross comes in in the 19th century. The style on yours is Medieval/Celtic probably dating to the Arts and Crafts era, 1900-1920's, but could be newer.

I dug this in Spain when I was there 12 years ago, not on a specific site, but just open country area
that had been converted to a modern park.
It's obviously Sterling Silver, and obviously all hand made. The front had a peace of wood in it when
found but we thought it was dirt so we took it out.... only after it was out did we realize it was a piece
of wood...

But the things I got from Spain like this were mostly medieval time frame...
It's obviously not modern to me..
 
Upvote 0
Nice :icon_thumright:

Don't think it is a rosary, no uniformity there. Should be 59 beads.

Could be a chaplet or it could just be a decorative chain for the cross.

Wish I could be more help but anyhow it's a great find.
 
Upvote 0
I believe it is a rosary, my Mother use to make them for the church. I believe the beads may have been made of wood and deterioated over the years in the ground, leaving the silver links. It all fits.
 
Upvote 0
kc10bull said:
I believe it is a rosary, my Mother use to make them for the church. I believe the beads may have been made of wood and deterioated over the years in the ground, leaving the silver links. It all fits.

You may be right, after looking at it, it does make sense.

Rosary's come in all all shape's and styles.

I think that the purpose is more important then the form.

Great Find :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
kc10bull said:
I believe it is a rosary, my Mother use to make them for the church. I believe the beads may have been made of wood and deterioated over the years in the ground, leaving the silver links. It all fits.

I agree that it is a rosary. The beads were wooden as was the cross. The Christ figure was attached to the wood and was lost as the wood deteriorated.

I think that the sets making more than 10 were where extra beads were. Since it is so old the rosary has changed over the years to include only 10 to a set now.

Carolyn
jivey1arr=k
 
Upvote 0
jivey1ark said:
kc10bull said:
I believe it is a rosary, my Mother use to make them for the church. I believe the beads may have been made of wood and deterioated over the years in the ground, leaving the silver links. It all fits.

I agree that it is a rosary. The beads were wooden as was the cross. The Christ figure was attached to the wood and was lost as the wood deteriorated.

I think that the sets making more than 10 were where extra beads were. Since it is so old the rosary has changed over the years to include only 10 to a set now.

Carolyn
jivey1arr=k

No telling the exact linkages, as I cut this when I was digging it and it came out in many small pieces
and I had to reassemble it once I had found all the parts and pieces, it is possible some where left,
As for the beads, I can not see where you might hang beads, wooden or otherwise.
The way the links are made, unless the beads were really big their are not going to fit over the links
 
Upvote 0
Oh that's different. If part is missing, it was a rosary. Yes the beads are gone, but anyway, like I said, the triangular "medal" ( Celtic knot thingie on this one) is not Medieval, or even 18th c.

Early rosaries just had the chain link together there.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
a closer look
 

Attachments

  • silver rosery cross3.webp
    silver rosery cross3.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 210
  • silver rosery cross4.webp
    silver rosery cross4.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 191
  • silver rosery cross5.webp
    silver rosery cross5.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom